plucking Canadas

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

plucking Canadas

Postby duckjumper » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:01 pm

So I shot a cackler last weekend and while plucking it I noticed it was nearly impossible to get all those black feathers off. I got most but it took twice as long as a duck and it still looks like a hippie chick's legs in the wintertime...

help! How can I avoid this? And skinning the goose is not an option.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:11 am

I just plucked a huge honker thursday, took me around 4 hours to dress it and all(first time) After I did it I looked online and they say to scald the bird for about 15 seconds, it makes the feathers a little easier to get out and not float all over the garage. Plus, the little hairs and feathers that you couldn't get out you can run a torch over them real quick. Didn't get to try it but might be something to look into.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Re: plucking Canadas

Postby casey_714 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:44 am

duckjumper wrote:and it still looks like a hippie chick's legs in the wintertime...

I think I'm gonna ralph :oops:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby duckjumper » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:59 pm

mossyGO - did you get all the little black feathers off? How'd that go? It's those little ones that are making our friend Casey ralph :mrgreen: that I am worried about...
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Wooderson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Me and a buddy both shot our first goose last year and took frigin hours to clean the things and i doubt we ended up gettin everything off. have fun tryin to get it completely plucked.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:09 pm

duckjumper-yeah I got all of the black feathers off. The ones on the bone side of the wing suck but luckily he dropped so hard that one side broke at the body so no sense in plucking that side. After I got everything I put it in the sink to soak but noticed some real thin long blonde hippie chick leg hairs drifting in the water that you talked about but figured I'd torch them when I took him out to deep fry. You know, I get pretty maticulous when I have a few beers in me so it didn't bother me at all. Plus it was thanksgiving and the inlaws were at the house so I spent as much time in the garage as I could!
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

bird plucking 101

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:52 am

Alright fellas - here's what you do.

Boil a large pot of water and dump it into a clean 5 gallon bucket (you need enough water to completely submerge the duck or goose). Then add a block of bee's wax in the water and let it melt.

Cut the head off the bird, and holding the bird by the legs dunk it into the water. Lift the bird up and down so the wax gets all over the bird. Don't put the bird in for more than 20 seconds or so. Pull the bird out and let it cool for a few minutes. The wax will harden and when you peel it off the feathers will come with it. it is very easy. Then pull out the guts and chop off the feet.

I hope that helps!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:43 am

I just dry pluck mine in the field, it takes about 5-6 min per bird. Then when I get home I take a small propane torch and singe the down then rub the goose down and repeat. Then dress it. Works almost as good as the boiling water but with alot less mess and hassl.
phutch30
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:24 pm

he's right... you can use parafin (sp?) if you don't have bees wax. put the used wax back into the pot to reuse and then, if you have a turkey fryer or gas grill with burners, just reheat the pot and use it throughout the season...

I, however, no longer do it this way... it's a pain having a tank of water and was cluttering up my garage. I do like whatshisface (phutch30) and pluck the birds while I'm still out hunting, waiting for the next flock to appear. The feathers come out easier when the body is still warm, and then when you get home singe the hairs and tough stuff witha propane torch, bonfire, or whatever you have. (Singe outdoors, smells like burned hair, which it is)

Just be sure to walk a ways from your blind before you start plucking, and take your gun with you! Also, I don't pluck where it can be seen from a distance so it's not obvious to average nimrod that they've stumbled upon a killing ground.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:43 am

Another plucking singe-er here, although I have heard great and wonderous things about the wax jobs... that's the way they do it at some of the "clubs" I've accidently found a way to get invited to once or twice. One of those little lighter tools, with the trigger... (sure there's a name for this) does the job.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby FlybyNite » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:04 pm

We used to just skin 'em. Lots quicker & you can stuff the skins with an old pillow stuffing. Makes the prettiest decoys you ever saw. Shove stiff wire up the neck & you got a decoy. :thumbsup:
Don
Don't believe everything you think!
FlybyNite
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:52 pm

i skin mine can do a goose in 5 minutes
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:25 pm

And skinning the goose is not an option.

So have you tried another method yet duckjumper?
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckjumper » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Nope, but I did add more wax to the water, which pulled out WAAY more of the scary hippie-chick down feathers. I figured spending a few cents more on the wax (it's at any supermarket in the canning section) was worth the aggravation. I am personally against skinning ducks and geese (coots are another matter) but to each his own.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:55 pm

i got a farmer who does ducks for a 1 $ and geese for 2$
ALL OVERNIGHT AND A GREAT JOB
:getdown:
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby watchman34 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:01 pm

KS_PuddleJumper wrote:Another plucking singe-er here, although I have heard great and wonderous things about the wax jobs... that's the way they do it at some of the "clubs" I've accidently found a way to get invited to once or twice. One of those little lighter tools, with the trigger... (sure there's a name for this) does the job.

heres your lighter with the trigger http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91037
locked cocked and ready to rock! TEAM BROOME COUNTY
Now and then a bird flies into my steel shot.
watchman34
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:49 pm

ok, I use the silly little lighter thing... one of these http://www.bbqguys.com/category_path_7217.html

Now YOU have what I will soon graduate to. THAT is the way to do it. NICE. That'll sautee some pin feathers...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking