Best Duck to Roast?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Nerdwick » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:31 pm

I have always just breasted out my ducks but thinking about going whole/roasted this year.

Which ducks do you guys prefer to roast?
Nerdwick
hunter
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma


Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:05 am

Nerdwick wrote:I have always just breasted out my ducks but thinking about going whole/roasted this year.

Which ducks do you guys prefer to roast?

Teal
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 am

woodies
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 pm

All "white fat" ducks...(ducks that have fat that is white). This includes pintails, widgeons, teal, canvasbacks, redheads, and on occasion mallards. The only non-white fat duck I'll throw in there is a Woody.

Yellow fat ducks are O.K. roasted, but White fat birds are so much better when roasting!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58741
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:01 am

try one in a slow cooker/crockpot in the juice from a corned silverside/corned beef and you wont be breasting as many in the future. cook em slowly all day and even an old bird will cook up nice and fall off the bone.
User avatar
Elvis Kiwi
hunter
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am
Location: South Island New Zealand

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Bufflehead
tubbalowski
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 pm

tubbalowski wrote:Bufflehead

:huh: what species of ducks do you normally shoot?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58741
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
tubbalowski wrote:Bufflehead

:huh: what species of ducks do you normally shoot?

Muscovies taste like chicken
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
tubbalowski wrote:Bufflehead

:huh: what species of ducks do you normally shoot?


Bufflehead
tubbalowski
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:35 pm

tubbalowski wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
tubbalowski wrote:Bufflehead

:huh: what species of ducks do you normally shoot?


Bufflehead

Is that all you see?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58741
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby tubbalowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:27 am

Nah. Mallards, shovlers, teal, mergansers, woodies, blacks, buffies, Brant, Canadian, snow, specks, scaup, broadbills
tubbalowski
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby daffy... » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:07 pm

pekin, rouen, Cayuga
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 pm

daffy... wrote:pekin, rouen, Cayuga

domestic ducks?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58741
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby daffy... » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
daffy... wrote:pekin, rouen, Cayuga

domestic ducks?



lol yep. I raised all three this year. first time in awhile I had duck all year. all ducks are great to roast but the fattier the better. pekins are at full maturity by 50 days. has twice the fat of a hen mallard in late December


on a serious note I prefer plucking the breast and legs. breast out with skin still on and cut legs at hips also with fat/skin on. roast the bodies and save the fat. the fat I use to confit the legs and the roasted bodies for stock. score the fat on the breast. start in a cold pan and cook on low to render fat. cook 3/4 the way there then flip and finish to a internal temp of 115ish. its like a crispy piece of bacon stuck on one side
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 am

O.K., what is your favorite wild ducks to roast?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58741
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Indaswamp wrote:O.K., what is your favorite wild ducks to roast?

Red breasted merganser with a side of coot. Yum
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby dgram36 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:28 pm

The last time I roasted a wild duck it almost led to my divorce. Not the best way to cook them IMO.
User avatar
dgram36
hunter
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby daffy... » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Indaswamp wrote:O.K., what is your favorite wild ducks to roast?



big ol blacks. them Canadian red legs
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby teaves2257 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 am

I cooked my first roasted duck in a crockpot with a teal few weeks ago. It was great.
I marinated the whole teal with olive oil, soy sauce, lemon pepper, and garlic pepper the night before.
Stuffed it with a onion, balled up some foil to set the duck on so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. I poured the left over marinate in the bottom of the pot and cooked it on high for 2 hours. Then put the duck on a hot grill just the shear the skin.
User avatar
teaves2257
hunter
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Nw Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 am

teaves2257 wrote:I cooked my first roasted duck in a crockpot with a teal few weeks ago. It was great.
I marinated the whole teal with olive oil, soy sauce, lemon pepper, and garlic pepper the night before.
Stuffed it with a onion, balled up some foil to set the duck on so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. I poured the left over marinate in the bottom of the pot and cooked it on high for 2 hours. Then put the duck on a hot grill just the shear the skin.

next time, instead of aluminum foil to set the duck on, peel a couple onions and cut them on 1/2. put the cut side down and put your duck on top of that. :thumbsup: onion will help flavor the gravy, instead of the aluminum. :beer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58741
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 am

Spooney :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby teaves2257 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:next time, instead of aluminum foil to set the duck on, peel a couple onions and cut them on 1/2. put the cut side down and put your duck on top of that. :thumbsup: onion will help flavor the gravy, instead of the aluminum. :beer:


Now that does sound like a better idea haha thanks
User avatar
teaves2257
hunter
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Nw Louisiana

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby honknquackwhacker23 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm

coots
honknquackwhacker23
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 pm

I'll pluck every bird I shoot. Anything I won't eat goes to the dog or if she wont eat it then it goes in the garden.

That said, i'll roast most everything, it's all about complimenting flavors.

Unless it took a beating, in which case it goes to sausage.

Mallards are up top. Snows, then Canada's follow close. Roasted are all better than anything you could buy. Generally, Feild grazers are mild tasting, then puddlers and plant divers next, bug divers are good and finally fish divers which I wont eat due to the possibility of accumulations of certain chemicals.

I render all fat from bird I eat. I use it in place of any oil.

To roast,

I usually throw a few cloves of garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Most importantly stitch up the cavity, either kitchen twine or bbq skewers. This seals the steam and juices in. Then rotisserie on the bbq at about 250-300 f for about 30 mins a pound. to be sure, poke it, if it runs red its not done. Don't over poke. Running a bit pink is okay by the time you get it to the table it'll done just right. If you don't have a rotisserie than roast in the oven, but flip the duck every 15-20 minutes, a wire rack helps here.

ALMOST FORGOT: with the rotisserie, put a double boiler pan under the duck to catch the fat, otherwise you'll set it all on fire.

Cheers,

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Best Duck to Roast?

Postby mjk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:43 pm

We raised Pekins and Muskovies as a kid - I was in 4H. Darn good eating!


daffy... wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
daffy... wrote:pekin, rouen, Cayuga

domestic ducks?



lol yep. I raised all three this year. first time in awhile I had duck all year. all ducks are great to roast but the fattier the better. pekins are at full maturity by 50 days. has twice the fat of a hen mallard in late December


on a serious note I prefer plucking the breast and legs. breast out with skin still on and cut legs at hips also with fat/skin on. roast the bodies and save the fat. the fat I use to confit the legs and the roasted bodies for stock. score the fat on the breast. start in a cold pan and cook on low to render fat. cook 3/4 the way there then flip and finish to a internal temp of 115ish. its like a crispy piece of bacon stuck on one side
mjk
hunter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Mpls, MN; heart still in WI

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest