Cooking Crane suggestions

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Cooking Crane suggestions

Postby Minnesota Boy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Last weekend, I shot two cranes in the Socorro hunt and was wondering if anyone had any good recipes regarding this big bird.
Minnesota Boy
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Good luck, dude. They're illegal in so many states there are not many recipes for them. If you can find some really old cookbooks you will find some recipes. Sandhill cranes were the bird the California pioneers used for Thanksgiving before turkeys were widely available, so they are apparently decent eating. Try Nebraska sources - they eat a lot of cranes. Is your bird plucked? Skinned? How fat is it? Does the fat smell stinky or is it nice like a chicken's? I can help you if I know a bit more - I have cooked many, many different birds and they all follow similar rules. Crane's on my list, so I'd love to hear how it comes out...
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:38 am

Take out the breasts and thighs and cut into strips. Use a fork or bladed/tined meat tenderizer on the strips. Then salt,pepper and roll in flour. deep fry and dip in your favorite dipping sauce. Its great.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking