Tainted Meat Question

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Tainted Meat Question

Postby hopelessaddict » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 am

Sorry to post a thread that doesn't deal in delicious tasting recipes but I am curious for an answer and figure this is the best place to start for one...

I have been aging my birds for the past couple seasons in a lemon/salt water brine for 1 to 2 weeks changing the water every day to every other day...

Last week I had a bird that smelt something fierce after a week of this....kind of a sweet but awfully pungent smell...cooked it up anyway to see what would happen and the bird was inedible from my standpoint...(my dog gobbled it up though)

Question #1 Was this possibly the smell of tainted meat from being gut shot?

Question #2 If yes, does the aging process in water worsen the taint?

If y'all have experience in these matters or have better ways of brining/aging ducks I appreciate in advance any advice that you can offer....

I'm an expert in the field but a novice in the kitchen...
hopelessaddict
hunter

Re: Tainted Meat Question

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:28 pm

hopelessaddict wrote:Sorry to post a thread that doesn't deal in delicious tasting recipes but I am curious for an answer and figure this is the best place to start for one...

I have been aging my birds for the past couple seasons in a lemon/salt water brine for 1 to 2 weeks changing the water every day to every other day...

Last week I had a bird that smelt something fierce after a week of this....kind of a sweet but awfully pungent smell...cooked it up anyway to see what would happen and the bird was inedible from my standpoint...(my dog gobbled it up though)

Question #1 Was this possibly the smell of tainted meat from being gut shot?

Question #2 If yes, does the aging process in water worsen the taint?

If y'all have experience in these matters or have better ways of brining/aging ducks I appreciate in advance any advice that you can offer....

I'm an expert in the field but a novice in the kitchen...

I dont brine meat often, but when I have it has been for a short amount of time. Maybe 12hrs at the most. As far as aging goes I have never done it, but when I think of aging I think of hanging meat in a cold locker like the fridge for a week or more to make the meat tender.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:43 pm

technically, "aging" is done dry, not wet. The reason not to age wet is because of what you have just described. bacteria needs moisture to grow.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Fatback » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:technically, "aging" is done dry, not wet. The reason not to age wet is because of what you have just described. bacteria needs moisture to grow.

X2... brine overnight, think of a a bird floating in the ocean for a couple weeks... it would get funky.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking