Brine

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Brine

Postby MitchMN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm

This is something I started doing this year. As soon as you breast out the duck or pluck put it directly into a brine (just salt water) soak it in there in the fridge for a day. The meat is so much lighter in color and it gets rid of a lot of the gamey taste which i believe comes from the blood in the meat. Basically it helps to draw the blood out. Does anyone else do this or use a different mixture?
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Re: Brine

Postby bhroberts1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:59 am

I do the same thing with my duck breasts and it has really made them more tender. If you don't want to brine them for so long, brine them in ICE water for 2 hours. I usually do the ice water/salt brine for two hours and them rinse them really well and then marinate them over night.

Happy eating!
bhroberts1
hunter

Postby HungryBirdwatcher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 pm

I had never bothered brining honkers before because gaminess mostly reminds me that I had a good time hunting the beast. For Xmas this year with relatives who don't like that taste I brined a whole plucked bird and rubbed it down inside and out with bacon fat, garlic, and pepper. As soon as the chips were gone in the propane smoker I moved the bird into a covered pot in the oven with some water and a little bland salad oil. These three things together produced very good, reasonably moist and non-gamy meat. Also produced good gravy, even if it tasted like bacon instead of goose. I used less salt than most brining instructions call for; I suspect more salt might dry the meat out. I didn't put any seasoning in the brine, but next time I might try some rosemary or oregano. Fortunately for me, the other half is a thrifty sort who, for example, saves bacon fat. Other peoplemight need to use this as an excuse to eat some bacon first.
HungryBirdwatcher
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 am

Salt and brown sugar
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Yam45 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Instead of water, I use 4cups of STRONG brewed coffee, 11/2 cups Kosher salt , 1 /2 cup brown sugar and 1 jalopeno cut into thick slices 24 hrs soak in frig
Yam45
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm

cherry coke
TheMiz
hunter

Postby 1steve7301 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Try this, it is great :wink:

Duck Recipe:
◦7-10 whole plucked ducks (depending on size)
◦Submerge ducks in plastic tub in cold salt water (ratio 10 cups water to 1 cup of salt) use enough salt water according to ducks and container
◦Add 2 lbs of brown sugar, 1 cup of teriyaki, 1 cup of real maple syrup
◦Brine for 3 days in the fridge
◦Remove ducks from brine rinse pad dry and place breast side up in smoker. Smoke at 200-250 degrees about 6-8 hours with alder or apple
◦The smoking time will vary but smoke until there is no blood when the duck is sliced
◦Serve cold, discard skin and eat breast and legs
1steve7301
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:01 am

I do the exact same thing and all my kids and neighbor kids will eat duck when I fix it. To me, that's the true test that the brine is working. Often I will let them soak in fridge 48 hours, draining and changing the salt solution after 24.

hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 am

I soak everything but fish in saltwater for a couple days or more, changing saltwater daily. Takes the blood out.
talltimber
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 pm

HungryBirdwatcher wrote:I...used less salt than most brining instructions call for; I suspect more salt might dry the meat out. I didn't put any seasoning in the brine, but next time I might try some rosemary or oregano. ...
perhaps somewhat counter intuitively, salt helps meat retain waterwhich, along with seasoning the meat, is the main reason to brine.
http://happyeats.com/should-you-salt-meat-before-cooking-yes/
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Brining fowl is good. Try doing a chicken sometime. Two or even three days in a spicy brine is great.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm

I bet that would be good. I miss the Pollo Loco charbroiled chicken fast food chain that was in SCal. Probably the only thing I miss about SoCal. But anyway, they marinated their chicken in barrels of marinade. It really is THE bomb.

here's the recipe: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-el-pollo-loco-chicken-marinade-recipe

August 6, 2009

El Pollo Loco Chicken is made with a delicious marinade

Even the most loyal Kentucky Fried Chicken fan has to give respect to a good El Pollo Loco chicken breast. They are always so juicy, tender, and flavorful. What many frequent customers are quickly discovering is that El Pollo Loco’s extremely unique flavor doesn’t just come from the chicken. A signature marinade is responsible for El Pollo Loco’s delicious savory taste. Here is the recipe the Orange County Registrar published in a story about El Pollo Loco’s unique flavor. It serves six and it tastes just like El Pollo Loco served it up in your kitchen. All you need is warm tortillas and a side of macaroni and cheese.

1 tablespoon of white vinegar
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of crumbled dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon of ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon of mild chili peppers finely minced (the key is to make sure they are VERY finely minced
6 ounces of pineapple juice
2 tablespoons of lime juice
8 drops of yellow food coloring (not really necessary in a family setting, El Pollo Loco puts it in to make sure the chicken doesn’t look too pale, bland, or unfresh when served to customers)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
4 pounds of chicken for frying, cut up in the sizes you plan to serve

Mix up all the ingredients well. You can save ¼ of a cup on the side to use for basting the chicken later to add even more flavor.

Stick your chicken in the marinade; make sure it is completely covered and as airtight as possible. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight and somewhere around halfway turn your chicken, so all sides are equally exposed to the marinade.

Then just grill up your chicken and enjoy, maybe with some warm El Pollo Loco tortillas.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking