Buffalo Lake Spicy Goose

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Buffalo Lake Spicy Goose

Postby huntswithmutts » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:56 am

Inspired by Hank Shaw's blog, "Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook", I am going to post some recipes and pictures during the season. This recipe is from the Delta Watefowl website and is caled Buffalo Lake Spicy Duck. Duck is not in season yet in Illinois so I utilized two Canada Goose breasts harvested during the early season. Overall the recipe is a 7/10, but leftovers taste much better after the cooked goose breast absorbed some of the Italian flavors and spice from the tomato sauce. If I could do it over I would add more spice and tenderize the meat more.

Start by tenderizing:

•2 pounds of duck breasts
In a 5-quart or larger Dutch oven, brown the meat in 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Fold in:

•1 large yellow onion, sliced thin

•4 cloves of garlic, minced
Cook until the onions are softened, then add:

•1 28-ounce can of peeled tomatoes with green peppers

•4 dashes of garlic Creole sauce

•5 squirts of Tabasco sauce

•Salt and pepper to taste
Bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes. Cover the Dutch oven and place in a preheated 300-degree oven for at least 90 minutes. Remove the Dutch oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve in large bowls over a bed of white rice, and top with a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with chopped green onions for garnish.

The picture isn't the best. It was taken at my desk during lunch. Hopefully the next posts will have some better pictures. :beer:

For those of you who haven't seen Hank Shaw's blog, check it out here: http://honest-food.net/
Attachments
goose.JPG
huntswithmutts
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking