internal temperature

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

internal temperature

Postby agengo02 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:48 pm

i fried some duck breast the other day and they tasted great! well some of them, but alot of them i left in the oil for too long and they dried out and got tough. im trying to find out what the internal temperature should be on duck meat where they are in their prime cooking temp (when they are medium to medium rare) that way i can just stick a meat thermometer in them and pull them out when they reach the correct temperature. thanks for any help.
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:58 am

Easy. For a breast it is 140-145 degrees for rare-to medium. Under no circumstances should you go higher than 155 for breasts - it'll taste livery (in a bad way) For leg/thighs, go 155-165 degrees. Breasts like fast high heat, leg/thighs like slow, low heat.

If you have skin/fat on your duck breast, use a teeny amount of oil to moisten the bottom of the pan, then cook skin side down first to render some more fat. Let the skin side cook almost all the way (near that yummy browm color) Before flipping. Then flip back and forth one more time. That's how I get good color on the inside and a crispy crust. There are lots of ways to do this, but that's how I do it.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:11 pm

duckjumper that is EXACTLY they information i was looking for! thank you so much. i gotta bother you again though. what is a good marinade that i can let the meat soak in before cooking them. im looking to chicken fry them and grill them (george forman style). so first i need a good marinade, then what kind of mix do you put in to chicken fry them. i mean i know flour, salt, pepper, etc, but how much of each and yadda yadda yadda. thanks so much so far!
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:10 pm

Depends on what I am cooking. I don't usually batter fry my ducks because they have a thick layer of fat on them already (deep fried fat? Hmmm....) But if I did, I would use a spicy mixture (chipotle pepper or hot paprika or mustard powder with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Here's the catch: Dust your duck breasts with this BEFORE you batter them. Spices and hot fat hate each other - the spices burn and turn nasty. But when they are under a coating of batter, you get the flavor without the burnt taste.

As for a marinade, if you are looking to tenderize something, submerge it in buttermilk a day. If you are looking for flavor remember that any good marinade has four key ingredients: Something acidic, Something sweet, something salty and something oily. Remember this and you can do anything: So maybe lemon juice, olive oil, honey and salt. Or soy sauce, red vinegar, brown sugar and sesame oil.

Hope this helps.

d.j.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:19 pm

ok when im talking about frying them im talking about just the breasts so there is no fat on them. and for the marinade if i want to tenderize it AND make it have a good flavor can i put the 4 with the buttermilk, or should i buttermilk it for a day then the other stuff or what? man this is really great and detailed for me and i really appreciate it!
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:34 am

OK. Buttermilk for a day, then rinse it off. Then the flavor marinade for up to another day. Duck ages well in the fridge so don't worry about spoilage. Lemme know how all this turns out!

d.j.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:22 pm

Just my two cents I like the soak it in pet milk for a day, helps to take some of the gamey tatse out then marinade.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:33 pm

What is "pet milk"? How do you get it if your dog or cat isnt lactating?
phutch30
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Sorry that what we call back home, its evaporated milk made by "PET", you can get it at you local grocery store.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:23 pm

hehe ya la i know what you are talking about. i used to stock for heb so im familiar with it. do you think it works better than buttermilk?
agengo02
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:43 pm

In a way, to me the pet milk help to take some game out better but the buttermilk helps to make the duck bread up better. Usally I'll let it soak overnight in pet milk then let it soak in buttermilk for a few hours and take it right out of the buttermilk and bread it up.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:59 pm

i think im just gonna take all my teal meat that i have and do two of each in different combinations. gotta experiment to see what works. thanks for all the stuff so far and keep it coming if ya have more!
agengo02
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:19 pm

The pet milk helps to keep it from drying out too, you've found the real secret right there. Try all different combos and different marinades, everyone taste buds are different and other like to cook different ways. Good luck and enjoy. Make sure you tell us what you found out. :thumbsup:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackattaq » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:14 pm

just a couple things.

Let's not forget carryover cooking. The enternal temp will go up 3-5 degrees after removing from oil

Also, as with any meat, be sure to let it "rest" in it's own juices for 5 minutes before cutting into it.

Meats (especially things like breasts) will actually absorb thier juices back into the meat if you allow it.
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking