how long can a duck stay in the freezer uncleaned??

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how long can a duck stay in the freezer uncleaned??

Postby woodyduckboy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:44 am

just wondering how long i can freeze a duck without cleaning??
Dennis Mac
woodyduckboy
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Why would you do this? I have never heard of freezing a whole bird except for taxidermy, but from a cooking standpoint it isn't good. You need to gut and pluck your birds fairly quickly. Once cleaned, they can sit in a freezer well wrapped for 6-9 months no problem.

Lemme know what happens when you thaw them out.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:04 pm

being the ultimate procrastonator that I am I have considerable experience at putting whole ducks that have not been gutted into the freezer. I never pluck or skin a duck so it works out fine for me to just toss them in and freeze them until I get motivated to debreast them.

I have not noticed a bit of difference in meat quality between ducks that have been frozen whole and thawed and those that were processed the same day killed. In fact when I started cleaning out the freezer right before the deer archery season opened this fall I found around 9 ducks that had been buried in the freezer since last year. I thawed them just enough to allow me to skin the breasts and remove the breast meat and then went through my usual smoker routine and they were right there with the best tasting ducks I have ever eaten.

Freeze those greenheads. It won't hurt them a bit. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:34 pm

DuckinFool wrote:being the ultimate procrastonator that I am I have considerable experience at putting whole ducks that have not been gutted into the freezer. I never pluck or skin a duck so it works out fine for me to just toss them in and freeze them until I get motivated to debreast them.

I have not noticed a bit of difference in meat quality between ducks that have been frozen whole and thawed and those that were processed the same day killed. In fact when I started cleaning out the freezer right before the deer archery season opened this fall I found around 9 ducks that had been buried in the freezer since last year. I thawed them just enough to allow me to skin the breasts and remove the breast meat and then went through my usual smoker routine and they were right there with the best tasting ducks I have ever eaten.

Please tell us about "my usual smoker routine and they were right there with the best tasting ducks I have ever eaten"

How do you smoke them and do you have to cook them after the smoking?

Thanks,

David

Freeze those greenheads. It won't hurt them a bit. :thumbsup:
StoneTower
hunter

re: freezer

Postby ant » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:29 pm

thanks for the info guys. Just gave me hope of a future snack with the 2 i got in there now!!! :thumbsup:
ant
hunter

update

Postby ant » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:42 am

I defrosted the spoonbill for 2 days, breasted him and ate him...It was tasty. I have a drake mallard in there who is next.
ant
hunter

Postby jeff wolpert » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:37 pm

I would (IMHO) not suggest caring for any food like this.when was the last time you bought a steak with the hide still on it.handling any food in this manner will only get you food illnesses eventually.Trust what i'm telling you.been there,done that.
jeff wolpert
hunter

re

Postby ant » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:49 pm

I dont intend on doing this in the future. thanks for the input!
ant
hunter

Re: how long can a duck stay in the freezer uncleaned??

Postby jennyj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:54 am

I think you will freeze it so long if everything else like the ice and water are working fine
jennyj
Newb

Re: how long can a duck stay in the freezer uncleaned??

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 pm

I hang mine whole in the fridge at 36 degrees for up to 3 weeks! A duck that hasn't been hung and aged is ok for the dogs, but rather rank for my taste. I have a very old LL Bean cookbook that suggests that if you cannot age game then simply freeze it for a year. You just have to keep the air away from the meat. I assume that a whole duck wouldn't be much different and the feathers would probably protect it. I would gut the bird though, if you are going to use the whole thing, but if you're only fileting the breasts, I don't see any problem. I laid out a couple of limits of doves on a shelf in my fridge last fall too...about 2 weeks! Breasted them out and they were tender and excellent. My grandma used to freeze fish whole in gallon milk jugs and water for what seemed like forever. They were great. Since I'm getting older, I have realized that the younger crowd is a little bit more sensitive to things, they get sick a lot, have all kinds of food allergies, and just can't seem to stomach wholesome well prepared foods like us old folks :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking