how to cook pheasants

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how to cook pheasants

Postby big fish only » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Long story short,
I need recipes to impress using these ditch chickens, preferably simple and quick. I have or will have breasts,legs, and whole dressed birds. And have no clue what to do with them except recipes that are used for chickens.

thanks in advance,
Alex
big fish only
hunter

Re: how to cook pheasants

Postby Trout&Duck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 am

Why not cook them like a chicken? They taste pretty similar.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I breast them out and then take the drummies as well. Search youtube for a trick to take out the tendons on the drummies, works like a charm. You break the leg down by the foot, step on the foot, and yank up on the bird.

For cooking, brown in a cast iron skillet and then toss into a slow cooker with a can of cream of mushroom (or celery, or chicken) soup. Turn it on low and let it go for 6 or so hours. It will be the best wild game you have ever eaten.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm

I like to brine pheasant with a mix of salt and cajun seasoning. It will take most seasonings you add while brining. Helps to keep it from drying out. Grill, fry, or bake like you would chicken, be careful not to overcook.
Jarbo03
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking