Duck Hunting Forum banner

Do you prefer a wet or dry smoker for ducks?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tstrong 
#1 ·
I'm told of a marinade, "Liquid Smoke" my buddy swears by it. Rub it on lightly and cook. I've usually smoke tuna but have yet to try duck. I have a dry smoker and the duck get to dry as it is.

#6 ·
tstrong said:
I have a dry smoker and the duck get to dry as it is.
How long are you letting it in the Smoker?

I smoke Duck and Goose in my Smoker and have yet to have it come out dry.

I marinade the meat for 3-5 days in the Fridge and then Drain for about .50 of an hour to 1 hour.

I have my Smoker already preheating to 180 degrees.

Stuff the Racks in the Smoker, put 2 pans of dust to smoke thru and is normally done in about 6-8 hours.

I keep an eye on mine when it hits 4 hours........Keep checking them from there on till they are done.

I don't have any problems with them getting dry.

How long and at what Temps are you smokeing them?

#8 ·
tstrong said:
wet smokers .
Please Explain what you mean by a "wet smoker"

The only way I know of is, you take the Dust, Chips, or Logs and Soak them first in water, then put them in the pan or on the heating element and let it smoke, Creates first a steam then smoke.

My Wife and I bought Her Dad a Big Chief for christmas one year...He and I used it alot, Had Problems with meats coming out Dry.....He upgraded for Me :mrgreen: a Smoker that has an Ajustable Temp Control.
He and I used it and I still do, he still has the Big Chief, he gets upset with it sometimes and comes and uses mine!
Never had a Problem with the New one!

For the Life of me, I can not figure out what kind of Smoker you are talking about, when you say "Wet Smoker"

Please Explain that one

#10 ·
tstrong said:
A wet smoker has a pan of marinade in the bottom of the smoker along with wood chips. I don't know if I'm using the correct term, but this is the general purpose.
This is the First I have Ever heard of this! Interesting!

There is a Way to make Sausage, were you use Dust or Chips or logs first to put the smoke flavor to the sausage then you place a metel bowl full of water on top of the heating element and Steam the Sausage.
Can not remember what this is called, but it isn't Wet.

Are you smoking the Whole duck and it is coming out Dry or is it Slices of Duck Breast?

1 thing I use is a Digetal Thermometor. I use it to check the internal Temp of meats when they are in the smoker. They get to 165, I pull them from the Smoker and they are done.

Sometimes, you Can look at the meats and Know it is done, other times, you have to take the Internal Temp.

Are you against trying your Friends Methoids?

#11 ·
I've learned (through trial and error) on fish but have not gotten duck to where I like it. I'll try a thermometer. I was cutting the duck up in strips and from your advise sounds os if it cooked faster han I expected. I'll have to pay more attention to it. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.