Barbary Sheep

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Barbary Sheep

Postby Minnesota Boy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:18 am

Does anyone have any recipes for Barbary Sheep? I shot a nice ewe this spring and have been a little scared to try it. :help:
Ive been warned that it is a little tough. :hammer:
Minnesota Boy
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:34 pm

I've never had one myself, so my experience is limited, but here is one suggestion from the web:

Marinate in butttermilk for five days, then wash off in cold water and saute in butter, garlic salt, pepper and accent. If necessary, slice into small pieces, preferably prior to marinating

Roasts:

Marinate in the same way and make into a stew. Brown first, then cook in wine or sherry with some celery, carrots, onions and small pieces of ham. Remove vegetables, blend, then add back to thicken the cooking solution. Use salt, pepper and garlic as requited. Also, a tbsp of sugar

Poor Cuts

Grind in a food processor. Add bacon fat, oregano, sage, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, accent and mix into a sausage

Source:http://huntingsociety.org/MoreRecipes.html

Plain yogurt would also have a similar effect in tenderizing like buttermilk since it is only mildly acidic. You could construct a marinade using either buttermilk or yogurt and give it some time in there.

Good luck!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking