Cleaning and gutting first duck.

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Cleaning and gutting first duck.

Postby rcnut143 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:22 pm

sorry for asking a repeted question but I'm new to this and couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. :huh: What is the best way to clean and gut a duck? I live in Illinois so mostly Mallards. Pictures and links would be most appreciated

Thanks,
Marc
rcnut143
Newb

Postby quackerwacker » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 pm

:welcome:
Sorry I can't post any pics but I can tell you what works for me.
1) Pull off a few handfulls of feathers from the breast exposing the skin.
2) Find the breast bone and cut the skin the length of the breast bone
3) Pull the skin back towards the wings exposing the entire breast
4) Cut straight the breast the length of the breast bone to the ribs, following the ribs until the breast is removed.
Try wrapping the breasts in bacon and marinating in Terryaki sauce. Cook medium rare on the BBQ! Enjoy. :thumbsup:
2009-2010 totals
Canada Geese: 5
Mallards: 14
Wood ducks:0
Widgeon: 0
Gadwall: 0
Pintail: 5
Green Wing Teal: 5
Bands: none yet this year!
quackerwacker
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:58 pm

jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:45 am

I just split them down the breastbone and pop the breast out, as for cookin em, i roll em in flour pan fry em, throw em in a casarole dish with some mushroom soup and finish cookin em in the oven. very tasty

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby TKEEKU » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:24 pm

QuakerWacker has it right obviously, but let me throw a few extras in there. Basically you are trying to PULL the fatty skin back which has the feathers attached. That first cut into the fatty skin is right at the top of the breast bone. On YOU, it would be right below your adams apple where you feel the soft space and then a bone. Make a T cut onto that bone so that you cat pull the fatty skin (and feathers) down and out to meet the wings and leg. From there I only take the breast filets and then the heart and liver for my dogs. The legs in my opinion are just too much work. Anyway, take a sharp knife and carefully cut (scrape if you will to some extent) down the bone and out to the legs and wing.

Your first bird will be tough, but keep going as it gets easier.
TKEEKU
hunter

Postby tennispro » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:01 pm

The only thing that I have been doing different the what the others have said is. I cut the head and wings off first. Then run a sharp knive under the skin starting at the neck. Then you will be able to pull the skin right off the meat all the way around the bird. Then I just remove the breast.

Jeremy
tennispro
hunter

Postby stevedave » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:41 pm

tennispro wrote:The only thing that I have been doing different the what the others have said is. I cut the head and wings off first. Then run a sharp knive under the skin starting at the neck. Then you will be able to pull the skin right off the meat all the way around the bird. Then I just remove the breast.

Jeremy

That seems like a lot of work to me if you're just going to end up breasting them anyways. I just pluck a good amount of the feathers from the breast and then split the skin at the breastbone and cut the breast out.

How long does it take you to skin one?
stevedave
hunter

Postby du_uga11 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 am

I just pluck the whole duck, remove head, remove wings, remove skin, and cook the duck whole down in gravy. I like to eat the legs and all.
O God, Thy Sea Is So Big, and My Boat So Small
du_uga11
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm

I actually rip the entire breast out, then cut the breast meat off when preparing. Goes quicker when you have multiple birds although on a big mallard or a goose it would be damn hard to do.

I did it yesterday to a teal so I will explain that.

1. With bird on its back pull some chest feathers off, exposing the skin. Cut the skin or on a teal just pull it apart (rip). Pull the skin from the center down to the wings, exposing the breast, "abdomen" and throat areas.
2. Cut or break the wings off. Cut or break the neck off.
3. Put your finger(s) into the top of the breast, on a human this would be right under the collar bones. Pull (hard) the breast down. If you were doing this to a human it would be (armless human) pulling their collar bone down to their waist. Pull it down and pull it out.
4. It's now free standing, so cut whatever is holding the bird to the butt/legs area.
5. Look into the breast cavity and cut out the heart and any other organs.
6. Wash it out throughly.

I'm going to take 5 minutes to draw that up a bit in MSPaint. I'll do my best to make it clear. This method will produce a breast piece much like when you buy a turkey breast at the supermarket. It will be wingless, organless and clean.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:51 pm

1. Lay flat.

2. Cut open, pull apart.

3. Pulled apart view.

4. Cut wings.

5. Pull out.

6. Cut throat, abdomen areas.

7. Pull all the way out.

8. Clean out. Although I didn't show that you may have to cut out some internal organs.

Red lines are cut lines. Blue arrows are pull direction. Blue in part 8 is water.

If all you want to do is cut out the breast meat, then go to step 3 and slice it out like your carving out a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Feel free to do whatever you want with those photos.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Final way is to pull feathers off the back endshowing about 2" of skin. Take a large knife and cut off the whole back end.

Take two fingers, insert and remove the intestins,heart & liver.Grab bird and shake out any loose blood and materials.

It can now be stored for 2-3 days in a cooler until it can be plucked.

Old way: start with the main feathers and then the down ,any "silk hair" can be singed off with a flame.

New way: spot pluck, fill cavity with news paper, then push under
simmering wax (parafin) , place on its back on news paper to dry.
When wax is hard, the feathers will pull free with the wax.

Cut off wings,legs & head, wash and clean as needed.

The bird is now ready to roast or BBQ. They can also be cut down
the back and breast, in half for smaller portions or quartered if needed.

Some hunters place whole or cut up bird, into brimes etc, before cooking or smoking, to add a different flavor to the duck.

The skin keeps the birds meat moist and can be discarded when
the bird is finished cooking or at the table.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking