Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 pm

A buddy and I cleaned up on last week, some of what we shot we're a few Lesser Scaup. I've eaten pretty much everything from merganser (good smoked), Scoter and anything shy of Cormorant, which I've seen swallow a whole pike, so no thanks there, i'll take the pike outta the gut and eat that first.
I've never eaten a bad Scaup but they only stick around for a couple of weeks in my parts so I don't get too many in a given year.
Well my bud cooked one of the birds we got last week, serving it up to some less-than-leather-lined diners, and well their description was, and I quote, "liver with rotting fish on top".

I use most I can out of what I kill, in the gizzards of these birds I found freshwater snails. They didn't smell bad.. maybe a bit earthy, if I can recall anything at all.

I haven't put one of these particular ducks to the table yet, I'd like to hear what anyone has to say on the easy side of making them table-fare. Please don't give me any old leather boot tricks... I've heard most of 'em.

Cheers,

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA


Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby gooseseeker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:29 pm

A friend of mine used some BB breasts in a stew and they came out phenominal,don't know recipe though sorry about that,I'm sure you can look it up on internet or wild game cookbook.


Nick

GS
gooseseeker
hunter
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Yea, I've never had any issues yet, always been good. Just wondering whats up with the one my buddy ate, and if his was bad, then the ones I got that day are probably going to to be similar.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby southbistineau » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:14 pm

I ate a bunch of Scaup last year. I put breasts in the fridge in water and kept changing the water out for a couple of days. You have to get the blood out to get rid of the gamey taste in my opinion. I never had a problem with them and couldn't tell the difference in taste to more "desirable" ducks.

But I have also heard a lot depends on what they have been feeding on. Maybe those snails had something to do with it.

Duck and sausage gumbo was very good.
southbistineau
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:24 pm

southbistineau wrote:I ate a bunch of Scaup last year. I put breasts in the fridge in water and kept changing the water out for a couple of days. You have to get the blood out to get rid of the gamey taste in my opinion. I never had a problem with them and couldn't tell the difference in taste to more "desirable" ducks.

But I have also heard a lot depends on what they have been feeding on. Maybe those snails had something to do with it.

Duck and sausage gumbo was very good.


Yea, I might try that. I've been eating game since I was a kid so I can't get enough. Right down to weasels, beaver and muskrat... which I think is the same as nutria. Though I wouldn't shoot a weasel these days, and I'd have to be hard up for muskrat. I'll take any beaver if I can get it legally, ( lol... that's gotta be the best thing I've ever said.) beaver meat is great.

Just not so into "liver with rotting fish on top". The whole idea surprises the heck out of me to be honest, that a duck wouldn't taste good.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 pm

We eat a lot of divers every year from cans to ruddies (minus mergs, try not to shoot them). Even get a few sea ducks every year.

I've never had one that I didn't like. I normally either smoke them or grill them or both. I like to marinate them over night in dales streak seasoning (low sodium version) tack the whole breast and wrap with a piece of bacon. Throw it in the smoke for an hour then onto the grill till they are medium rare (DO NOT OVER COOK THEM!!!!!). Make sure you wear your stretchy eating pants! Lol


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby duckblind1982 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:45 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:We eat a lot of divers every year from cans to ruddies (minus mergs, try not to shoot them). Even get a few sea ducks every year.

I've never had one that I didn't like. I normally either smoke them or grill them or both. I like to marinate them over night in dales streak seasoning (low sodium version) tack the whole breast and wrap with a piece of bacon. Throw it in the smoke for an hour then onto the grill till they are medium rare (DO NOT OVER COOK THEM!!!!!). Make sure you wear your stretchy eating pants! Lol


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk



I brought some BB's back from Canada this year and looking to smoke them whole. Do you have any tips on how you do this..tempture, ect? I was thinking about stuffing them with apples and doing a glaze or something. Never did them this way so just looking for some advice. Thanks
duckblind1982
hunter
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 am

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 am

When in doubt cook it in a crockpot with an entire bottle of white wine. Removes all game taste from any species.
User avatar
BurnettGunner
hunter
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am
Location: Superior, WI

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby send the dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:23 pm

I grind all my divers and mix them with ground pork and make sausage with them. Even the non-duck eaters will devour these.
send the dog
hunter
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Rock and a hard place

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:28 pm

send the dog wrote:I grind all my divers and mix them with ground pork and make sausage with them. Even the non-duck eaters will devour these.



I like this plan... I make sausage with the birds that are too damaged to roast, and I add in all the gizzards and hearts.
Maybe mixing in these divers is the way to go. I also do sausage with rabbits, so that could work too.

Thanks

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby beastmode » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Serve with tarter sauce

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
User avatar
beastmode
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:33 am

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 am

duckblind1982 wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:We eat a lot of divers every year from cans to ruddies (minus mergs, try not to shoot them). Even get a few sea ducks every year.

I've never had one that I didn't like. I normally either smoke them or grill them or both. I like to marinate them over night in dales streak seasoning (low sodium version) tack the whole breast and wrap with a piece of bacon. Throw it in the smoke for an hour then onto the grill till they are medium rare (DO NOT OVER COOK THEM!!!!!). Make sure you wear your stretchy eating pants! Lol


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk



I brought some BB's back from Canada this year and looking to smoke them whole. Do you have any tips on how you do this..tempture, ect? I was thinking about stuffing them with apples and doing a glaze or something. Never did them this way so just looking for some advice. Thanks

Sorry for the long wait i don't check this section often.

I know it can be pretty good making them like that. I assume you left the skin on them? I personally have never done a whole duck however I make turkey's every year in my smoker. My family doesn't like a whole lot of smoky flavor so I use umm 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Apple wood. In my master forge smoker I crank it up to about 80% power (it doesn't have a temp on it but I'd say it's around 320 or so.

With a store bought Turkey I don't add any seasoning besides salt, pepper and some slap your mama. I think around 4-6 hours it will be done. I keep the breast temp in it so that it pops. I also have a meat thermometer that I check different areas to make sure that it is fully cooked.

Duck I would use the breast temp like a turkey, I would possibly try a dry rub of your choice on them and make them up like I would ribs. I have always had a love for BBQ meat out of a smoker. I would probably coat them once an hour in BBQ sauce (maybe even a sweet BBQ sauce if I found one I liked) if you wanted to go that route. Probably around 3.5 hours I'd start probing them to see if they are done. It might take less time than that. I haven't made a full bird of that size before. You can usually eye ball it when it is starting to get done. Hope that makes sense/helps


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Scaup/Bluebills and other divers

Postby Mugzwump » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:37 pm

sounds pretty great. I've done ducks and geese on the bbq, smoker and over open fires.. figure a bluebill would go at least 3 hours in a smoker... depends though.. at 180 degrees I would let it go for 5 or 6 hours.

since this post, I've eaten those scaup. Did a basic full bird roast on all of em bit of garlic, herbs, s&p ... flipped the birds every 15 mins till done. We had em all for a big dinner with my hunting buddies... not a scrap leftover! Wouldn't say they were the best I've had, definitely more earthy than a mallard, but I wont ever think twice about diving in. I could see them being fantastic on some marinated shiskabobs, or maybe ground up and sausaged.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA


Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests