Frozen Birds

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Frozen Birds

Postby hansonjb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 am

I found one topic on this already, but I have a question to add.
So I hunt in Idaho, the thermometer reads -17 this morning. I shot a limit a few days ago, and the ducks froze solid in my truck overnight. as of now, theyre still in the back of my truck, completely frozen stiff and whole (not gutted or dressed at all).

What should i do with them to save the breasts? i figure they're probably not worth plucking at this point. another topic here from 2007 says theyre fine to eat, and i believe it, i just want some suggestions on how i should go about thawing them and removing the breasts. two drake wigeon, two greenheads and 3 hen greenwing teal. all rock-solid
hansonjb
Newb

Re: Frozen Birds

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 am

Place them in an area where they will slowly thaw and then clean them. Meat shouldn't be affected really.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:13 pm

My brother-in-law does that all the time. I'll never understand why he doesn't clean them the same day. :no:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Boocephus wrote:My brother-in-law does that all the time. I'll never understand why he doesn't clean them the same day. :no:

Some folks age them just like pheasant.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking