Duck Jerky dehydrator help

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Jerky dehydrator help

Postby Echospartan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey all, wanted to try making some duck jerky in the dehydrator, any suggestions on marinating, or seasonings for the meat? or what temperature and for how long should I leave it in there. Note I will be using ether spoonbill or A.wigeon breasts and I prefer my jerky tender, I do not like rock hard jerky that you have to chew forever. Thanks for the help!
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Re: Duck Jerky dehydrator help

Postby Baher20018 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:44 pm

I use the following method for duck and venison jerky.

Spicy Teriyki Jerky

Cut your duck breast into 1/4" strips. I spice the strips with a spice rub i make myself and marinate in teriyake sauce for 24 hours. If you like the smokey flavor get some liquid smoke and add it to marinade (use it sparingly because it is strong stuff. Rub the duck breast in the spice rub first. then, get a zip lock bag and put the duck breast in the bag and cover with marinade. Make sure the bag is not over crowded, if so use more than one bag because you want the marinade to coat every piece of meat.

After 24 hours pour the meat into a strainer to strain away the marinade. Then, pat each piece of meat dry with a paper towel or a kitchen towel. layout in dehydrator at 160 degrees for 4 hours. This will not be bone dry but a nice jerky. if it is too moist for you then add 30 min of drying.

keep in a ziplock in the fridge. This jerky has no preservatives so it will not last forever like bone dry jerky.

Spice rub:( I do not use exact amounts just eyeball, make the rub how you like it)

Salt
Black pepper
Smoked paprika
garlic powder
onion powder
red pepper flakes
rubbed thyme ( strong don't use much)
cayenne pepper powder (Depending on how spicy you like it)
Baher20018
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking