Food Saver / vacuum sealer

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Food Saver / vacuum sealer

Postby JRB11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:12 pm

I was looking into getting a food saver, or some vacuum sealer, do any of you have one or could recommend one. Don't have lots of dollars to spend. Thanks
JRB11
hunter

Re: Food Saver / vacuum sealer

Postby Cajun1085 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm

I would save your money and get a commercial grade one. I have a 150 dollar food saver and its only good for about 6 vac/seal before you have to let it sit and cool. Becomes a pain when you have a whole deer to seal...
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

C.Geese- 60

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I've had a food saver from costco for 7-8 yrs and use it regularly. It works great. I did considerable research prior to purchasing the unit and for an affordable home use machine it is a great value. That said, if you're willing to save for a commercial unit that's the way to go if you're packaging a lot of fish or game in a single session. If you're looking for a vacuum sealer to package leftovers or breaking down bulk items the food saver is a good value. I am a satisfied customer.
PNWGator
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:18 am

I have both the bottom and middle of the Foodsaver line. As cajun said, if you are doing alot, commercial is the way to go. The bottom of the line is not worth it IMO. I do pretty good with the middle of the line, it has a couple of knobs to extend sealing time, vacuum time, and a heat-seal-only button which is handy when you are making bags from a roll. It also has a vacuum tube port for a canning jar attachment which we've rarely used, a removable fluid tray which is really handy for cleaning, and a bag cutter which lasted about 20 cuts.

The ability to seal many bags without rest is the main factor.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking