Dirty Rice--save those gizzards

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Dirty Rice--save those gizzards

Postby scopolamine » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:30 am

After a blown oyster trip, I needed a warm comforting meal. I’ve been trying different takes on the classic dirty rice and have found most to be pretty….meh. I finally found what I was looking for in this approach. Instead of your typical bird broth alone, I used shrimp stock and of course the dove hearts, gizzards, and livers I got from a fine hunt earlier in the year. Duck gizzards work well, and coot's do as well.

Shrimp stock is easy to make, simply save the heads and the shells from your next shrimp purchase. Simmer these for about half an hour in a half gallon of water per half pound of shells. The resulting pink broth is amazing.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

* 3 tablespoons reserved bacon fat
* 30 dove hearts, livers, and gizzards
* 1/2 pound pork breakfast sausage
* 1 chopped yellow onion
* 1 chopped green bell pepper
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
* 2 tablespoons of your favorite cajun seasoning
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 cups shrimp stock
* 1 cup turkey stock
* 2 bay leaves
* 8 cups cooked rice

Method

* Make sure you’ve cleaned your gizzards appropriately.

* Melt your bacon fat in a well seasoned dutch oven.

* Cook your sausage and dove parts for about 5 minutes, then add the veggies and all spices except the bay leaves and cook another 10 minutes, softening the veggies up.

* Pour in your bay leaves, shrimp and turkey stock and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes.

* Add the cooked rice and stir thoroughly rewarming the rice. Let rest for about 10 minutes and serve.

Click here for pictures if you like: http://wp.me/p3bCKM-bK
scopolamine
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking