Merganser Spread

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Merganser Spread

Postby RockedEm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Okay, I know this is typically a joke, but I have been trying for years to find a way that I like Merganser.
I know a few hunters that actually like the strong flavor...heck most of it I pass on to my wife cause she actually likes it and even knows what it is (God I love her for this).

Personally, I do not want to harvest animals that I don't shoot, but we sometimes only get shots at Mergie's on a slow day.

Here is what was given to me and it actually is good, of course by the time you are done there isn't much meat flavor at all.

Soak Mergansers for two days in water to get some of the blood out.
Salt if you like, orange juice, red wine.
Cold Smoke for 8-10 hours coated in brown sugar and Cajun.

Remove from smoker and shred it up in a blender.
Mix 1 block of cream cheese, 1/2 bag of sharp cheddar, horseradish to flavor (1 tablespoon of fresh does us good).
Mix all together and spread on crackers.

Mmm.....

Okay, so you barely taste any merganser, but finally a way I like them.

RockedEm
RockedEm
hunter

Re: Merganser Spread

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 am

That sounds vile......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Merganser Spread

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 am

I just bread and fry mine I like it taste kind of like fried gizzards I think but with a meaty texture.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking