Help with the duck.

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Help with the duck.

Postby FreedomHunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Okay so I am going to be honest here, I do a lot of different types of hunting and eat different wild animals. Down somewhere close to the bottom is wild duck. This has mostly to do with my location and what they are eating and whats flying. Majority is blue bills, ruddy's, ringers, and some teal. Now I love to duck hunt, everything about this sport, to me, is a good time. Sitting in the blind watching the sun rise (awesome pictures to boot), spending quality time with my dad, and actually getting to shoot when I hunt. So with that I don't plan on quitting on what is not one of my favorite down times. So with all that being said I still eat the ducks I shoot, but feel it should be more enjoyable (first time I have ever had duck in my life was 1 year ago and it was my first duck I shot BWT)

Here is my plan, I love beef jerky. I love shooting ducks. So I am thinking about turning it into duck jerky. I have never tried duck jerky before and don't know what to expect. Will it taste like the swamp that I had before or is it going to be close to beef jerky (can imagine different textures). Remember I shoot and eat lots of critters so its not the game taste I think it has to do with the ducks diet here, lots of snails.

Your ideas? I have tried bacon wrapped duck, but over cooked it and I really didn't like the marinade we found and I am thinking about doing that again if I get more teal, but with a different marinade.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Help with the duck.

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:15 am

I just made my first ever batch of jerky last night. Turned out great man! I just cut the breast into thin strips and seasoned them. I put jerky cure, tony c's, salt, and black pepper on it. I put the meat in a container in the fridge for 24 hrs to set. Then about 12 hrs on the dehydrator and they were done. It came out really good and it is pretty close to beef but not quite there. Our birds are mostly puddlers though and they have been eating mostly seeds from moist soil plants. I know a guy that makes jerky with ring necks though, and he says it taste really good.

Try soaking your duck breasts in fresh water for 2 days before you wrap them in bacon. Change the water twice a day for those two days. Teal will definitely be your best bet for bacon wrapped bird that's for sure. Try marinating them in brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, shot of bourbon, and tony c's... Leave em in the fridge marinating over night, and cook them to medium or medium rare.

Good luck!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking