jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

jerky

Postby agengo02 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:58 pm

i am curious if/how one would go about making duck or goose jerky WITHOUT a dehydrator. i live in an apt and have just regular cooking stuff. is this plausible and functional? i love jerky but dont wanna pay out the ass to buy it from a guy that sells in on the side of the highway. thanks
agengo02
hunter

Postby Ducks4Coach » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:48 am

Have done it both ways , with the oven and dehydrator. turn your oven on to 200. You will need metal drying racks to put the meat on to cook. You know what... go to Walmart and buy a $30 Tasco dehydrator and dehydrate the jerky. It's so much easier to do it with the dehydrator. And they don't take up that much space if you were worried about that in your apt.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:13 pm

i thought they were way more expensive than that. thatll probably be the route i go if i can find one for that cheap.
agengo02
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:02 pm

http://www.nesco.com/products/?category ... 100&id=312

$40, and it comes with the gun if you like it that way. This is the same unit I have, and I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:55 pm

High Mountain jerky mix in original is good on waterfowl, but do yourself a favor and get a smoker. Even a small little chief and smoke it for about an hour with mesquite wood. Add a cup to start and one in 1/2 hr. or hour. Keep the heat down low for smoke per instructions. Vent a littel just to keep the smoke moving. You can open the vent more for drying later. Mesquite wood is key and will make all the difference in the world. Hickory is great on most stuff, but with waterfowl mesquite is the way to go. Don’t overdue the smoke at first and work up to the smoke you want with testing batches. It doesn’t take that much smoke and you don’t want to over due it. Then dry it out until the outside just gets dry. Test some out and you can dry more in the oven if you like at 200 - 240 to get it a bit more dry. Don’t over dry. You want it dry so the flavor really comes out, but you don’t want it too hard to eat. If you don't want to do it all in the smoker than just smoke for an hour and then go to the oven to finish up. I freeze the meat first and then partially defrost. This keeps it stiff for getting nice slices. I use a cuttco knife to cut or use a real good serrated knife and cut into ¼” or a smaller slices. You can use a slicer or jerky cutting board, but a little freeze to the meat makes it much easier to get good cuts. Goose I do diagonal, long with the grain or cross depending on how you like it and duck I just slice down the breast. If you get it right you will be floored at how good it is. One good batch of the stuff and you will be hooked for life if your a jerky lover.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby dog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:47 am

well, I just started one of the steps a few minute ago.
1. breast the ducks (no skin needed)
2. freeze them for like 10 min (makes um easy to cut)
3. slice the meat down in strips (your choice of size)
4. put your meat in a container with "Mr. Yoshida's Marinade and Cooking sauce" or any marinades. You can add brown Sugar for sweetness, garlic or onion powder, or any other spice. And put it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
5. put the meat on racks in the oven at 130-150 degrees for a really long time (until it looks done)

see, no smoker or dehidrater needed. :rofl:
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:03 pm

dog wrote: 130-150 degrees for a really long time
see, no smoker or dehidrater needed. :rofl:

Wouldn't you rather skip that "Really Long Time" step though? A dehydrator is cheap money, and a smoker can be used for all kinds of other things besides jerky. Well worth either or both investments in my eyes. Nothing worse then placing your over on 150, and cracking the door open and knowing its going to be like that for the next 8 hours. Hope its nice and cool in Cali today. :rofl: :rofl:

Make sure if you don't use some sort of preservative you eat it quick.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking