Indaswamp's Boudin recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Indaswamp's Boudin recipe

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:46 pm

****edit: this recipe makes about 12 lbs. not 16 lbs. of boudin. Calculation error on my part. Also, I have adjusted the following:
salt down to 80 grams
Red pepper down to 1 TBSP + 2.5 tsps.
Black Pepper down to 1.5 TBSPS

those 4 lbs. threw me off.

This is a consolidation of 5 different recipes, taking a little bit from each one to create my own. As far as boudin goes, this one will be on the mild end of the spectrum. you can adjust the pepper and salt higher if you like. I adjusted all the ingredients for 1# of pork liver because that is how they sell it here. If you can not find pork liver, chicken livers will work and will also give you a milder liver flavor. I want to add here that the liver in boudin is only 7% by weight and is very faint...but it's not boudin without the liver! Ask jehler-he'll tell ya.... :thumbsup:

Makes about 16# of boudin, 30~32 12" links
Ingredients:
6.6# pork shoulder/boston butt cut into chunks small enough to fit into the tube of your grinder. Do not trim the fat. (keep the bone! YOU NEED IT FOR THE STOCK!) also, the bone will weigh about 1/2 lb. so keep that in mind when buying the meat.
1# pork or chicken liver
3 super lg. yellow or white onions (about 3 1/4#)
4 cups medium grain rice, raw (not uncle bens quick rice!) (this will equal about 5.5# cooked rice)
11oz. thinly sliced fresh green onions (scallions); about 3 bunches, GREEN TOPS ONLY!
2~2.5 cups reserved stock and fat
3 Level TBSPS. cayenne pepper
1 Level TBSP + 2 level tsps black pepper (this is the total amount, 1 tsp. of this will be used in the stock)
1/2 tsp. white pepper (not optional; level, use the back of a butter knife to make a level measure)
90 grams of mortons salt (this is about 4 level tablespoons minus 1/2 level tsp....i.e. measure out 4 level tablespoons in a bowl, then remove one level 1/2 tsp.) it is much easier to weigh the salt though....but you need a spice scale to do so accurately.

For stock:
6 celery stalks cut into 1/2" chunks
6 bay leaves
1 tsp. cracked black pepper (subtract this from the amount given above.)
1 large onion cut into 8 wedges (peel onion, cut it in half top to root, then cut each 1/2 into 4 pieces top to root)
10 cups cold water

place pork shoulder, the bone, and all stock ingredients into a 3 gallon heavy bottom pot and bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to a high simmer and cook 1.5 hours stirring occasionally. Raise heat and bring to a high boil then add liver and stir in. Cook 30 minutes more then remove from heat, strain stock from meat and set meat aside to cool. using a turkey baster, gently remove the stock taking care not to get the fat floating on the surface. You want just the stock for cooking the rice. remove all but 2~2.5 cups of stock from the pot. Put the stock in a eight cup measuring cup from the turkey baster. once you have removed enough of the stock, if necessary, pour water into the measuring cup to bring the volume up to 8 cups. use this stock to cook the rice in. Do not salt the rice when you cook it!

***if you do not know how to cook rice on the stove, this is how its done- in a 4 qt. pot, pour in the 8 cups of stock, then the 4 cups of rice. bring to a high boil but do not let it boil over. Stir gently a few times. watch the rice, and when most all the water looks to have boiled out and the top looks sticky with bubbles yet still moist, cover the rice and reduce the heat to a low simmer for 10 minutes. Use a timer. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID! A glass lid is best so you can look and see that water is condensing on the lid. when the 10 minutes is up, turn the fire off, leave the pot on the stove, and set the timer for another 10 minutes. when the timer dings, your rice is done and should not be burnt.

While the rice is cooking, peel and quarter the other two onions and add them to the stock pot. return the stock to med. heat and cook the onions for 20 minutes. When done, remove them from the stock and set aside with the meat.

Pull bay leaves and the bone out of meat and throw away. Set up your grinder with the fine plate and have a large bowl to catch the grind. Grind all the liver first, then all the cooked onions. Change out the plates to course plate with 1/2" holes or larger. grind the pork shoulder and celery. now you add the cooked rice and mix it in good. add the green onions and mix in good. now add the stock, a little at a time to wet the mix and make it easier to mix. Now add the salt and peppers. check for seasonings, (***edit: it is much better to add the salt, and peppers to the liquid stock and then pour that slurry into the boudin mixture. this will help to evenly spread out the seasonings.) then you can pull through casing... the casing used is about 1.25" in dia. and traditionally, boudin links are about 1 ft. long.
You can also leave it loose and use as a dressing, stuff into chickens and bake them, make quesadillas with it, boudin balls.....etc.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Indaswamp's Boudin recipe

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:30 pm

You can also add 1 lb. of cooked crawfish tails left over from a crawfish boil for a wonderful twist! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 am

Some questions-

Is it a 6.6 pound piece of pork, or was that supposed to be "6#"?

When you cook the pork, is it already cut up into chunks, or do you do that after cooking it?

Thanks!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:57 am

assateague wrote:Some questions-

Is it a 6.6 pound piece of pork, or was that supposed to be "6#"?

When you cook the pork, is it already cut up into chunks, or do you do that after cooking it?

Thanks!

sorry Assa... it's 6.6# of pork shoulder after deboning...i.e. 6 and 2/3rds of a pound. And yes, cut into chunks small enough to fit in your grinder feed tube prior to cooking. The liver is sold here in pre-packaged 1/4 lb. 1/2" thick steaks. I just add it as is to the pot, if you buy fresh liver, clean the membrane off, remove the vessels, then slice into 1/2" steaks before adding it to the pot.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 am

I'll also add here that boudin is suppose to be on the moist side when you make it. nothing worse than dry boudin-it sticks in the casing and is hell to try and remove. Use all 2 cups of stock and all fat floating on top of it.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Gonna try this one tomorrow. Might not get to casing until the evening, though.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:18 pm

assateague wrote:Gonna try this one tomorrow. Might not get to casing until the evening, though.

If you don't believe me on the liver, ask john. He was skeptical too until he ate some. :thumbsup:

Also-be sure that the rice is fully cooked. test a grain of rice by squeezing it between two fingers and if there is a hard center it is not fully cooked. add 1/4 cup of water and put on low heat for 5 minutes more, then turn heat off and let sit for 5 minutes. undercooked rice in boudin will expand when reheating and could pop the casing. But- you do not want mushy rice either.... you want it cooked, but still holds together as an individual grain.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Another question- there's no mention of cooking the liver, only grinding it. Is it added to the sausage raw, or did I miss it?
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Never mind- found it.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 pm

assateague wrote:Never mind- found it.

Anxious to hear how it turns out for you and how you like it. fair warning though-it is spicy, even this mild version.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Going to check now, but pretty sure I've got some intestine casing left- does it matter if I use that or not?
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 pm

And how is it commonly eaten when it's done? Is this a dinner (kielbasa type) or breakfast (link sausage type) of food, generally? Should I smoke it, boil it, fry it?
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:03 pm

assateague wrote:Going to check now, but pretty sure I've got some intestine casing left- does it matter if I use that or not?

Traditionally, it is pulled through real intestine casing...not sure what size to tell ya, but it's the same size used for regular smoked sausage, about 1.25 inches in dia.
No, it is not necessary to pull it through casing. But if you do-you need to flash steam it for 5 minutes or so after stuffing it into the casing, then you can store it in the frig. or package it and freeze it. It will keep for about 3 months in the freezer, after that the rice gets kinda mushy but the flavor is still good.

you can eat it as a dressing, stuff it in chickens and bake them, make boudin balls bread them and fry them (really good with a chunk of pepper jack cheese in the middle), we also like boudin quesadillas with it.

When in the casing, traditionally the boudin is eaten and the casing discarded. if soft casing turns you off, you can grill it to crisp up the casing and eat it like a link of sausage, or broil it in the oven. eat it with or without mayo on crackers with a good beer. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:05 pm

you can also cold smoke it over hickory...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

boudin is like a rice dressing pulled through casing. it's a handy meal made with rice to stretch the meat that cajuns would bring in the field/swamps while trapping/hunting.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:15 pm

I meant, is it ok if I used intestine instead of cellulose, but you answered that.

I think ill case half, and keep half loose. Those fried balls sound pretty good. Then I'll smoke half of what I cased. Sort of give me a taste of what I like best, so I know what to make next time.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:28 pm

assateague wrote:I meant, is it ok if I used intestine instead of cellulose, but you answered that.

I think ill case half, and keep half loose. Those fried balls sound pretty good. Then I'll smoke half of what I cased. Sort of give me a taste of what I like best, so I know what to make next time.

if you make balls with some of it, it helps to add 1 egg and them sift a little flour in it so it will stick together better. Don't forget to stuff a chicken and bake it too. :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:09 pm

I wanna add that every drop of the stock should be used in the boudin. most for cooking the rice, with the rest used for moistening the mix.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:01 pm

We grill ours. Cut a three or four inch piece off, wrap with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Good stuff. Casing and all.
We've been buying Zummos brand. Idk if that's good Boudain or not, just what we can buy here, and all I know?
talltimber
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 pm

talltimber wrote:We grill ours. Cut a three or four inch piece off, wrap with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Good stuff. Casing and all.
We've been buying Zummos brand. Idk if that's good Boudain or not, just what we can buy here, and all I know?

Is this is:
http://boudinlink.com/c-zummos-boudain-review-of-boudinboudain/

If so, it's rated C+ at boudinlink.com...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 pm

must be a mistake swamp, dont see any thyme in the recipe :huh:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

jehler wrote:must be a mistake swamp, dont see any thyme in the recipe :huh:

You can add it if ya want...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

that was a joke swamp :wink:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:21 pm

jehler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

that was a joke swamp :wink:

I got it...but I was serious, you can add it to the stock if you want to add subtle flavor.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:23 pm

After it's in casing, traditionally, it is warmed in 190* water for 20-30 minutes prior to eating. We just eat it right out of the casing.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking