are mergansers good eating birds???

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

are mergansers good eating birds???

Postby FLYINGHUNTER » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:45 pm

im new to the duck hunting world, and i have been seeing quite a few common mergansers around where i plan on hunting. just wondering on if i have a good eating bird or if it isnt worth shooting. thanks
FLYINGHUNTER
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:53 am

their fishy diets make them... uhhhh... less than desirable table fare to most. If you are brave enough to give it a whirl, soak them for a long time in something. To answer your question, w yeah, e elect not to shoot them for that reason...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby young ducker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:10 pm

I ask this same que. in the honey hole and got laughed at. I also posted it on a another site and was given a recipe that is said to be good. you first cut the breasts into strips about the size of your thumb than soak the in salt water over night. Than soak the strips in butter milk for a night or 2. Than coat them in your favorite coating and fry.

Just a hint "DON'T BAKE THEM"
If it Flies, It dies!!
young ducker
hunter

Postby bcas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:37 am

I think they taste horrible so I don't shoot them.
bcas
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 am

I like how they taste, but they are so stupid I normally don't shoot them. Damn things swim in to my spread, and even when I shoot over their heads at incoming birds they still just stay there.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:48 am

out of.. we'll call it morbid curiosity (never met someone who "likes how they taste") - how do you prepare them to make them... errr... (gulps) "tasty"?
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:47 pm

KS_PuddleJumper wrote:out of.. we'll call it morbid curiosity (never met someone who "likes how they taste") - how do you prepare them to make them... errr... (gulps) "tasty"?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess its just me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't do anything special, I just soak them in water normally. Usually for at least 24 hours, then egg and bread them. Cook em slow. I didn't think it was too bad. to be honest, I never saw them much until the past two years, lately they've been all over. I shot a few two years ago, and I think two last year. I thought they were good. Better then goose.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby MR DUCKS » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:16 pm

mergs are on the do not eat list because of high mercury levels. For God's sake, do'nt feed them to your children.
"Up at the Quack of dawn"
MR DUCKS
hunter

Postby waterbirdz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 pm

mergs are great!! just wrap in bacon put on grill,remone bacon, discard breast and eat the bacon! :biggrin:
waterbirdz
hunter

Postby du_uga11 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:40 am

Killed two Male Hooded Mergans on one of my first hunts years ago (taste fishy)....Started to eat one that night and couldn't finish it. Mounted the other one. Taste like chit, but look pretty on the wall.
O God, Thy Sea Is So Big, and My Boat So Small
du_uga11
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:36 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
KS_PuddleJumper wrote:out of.. we'll call it morbid curiosity (never met someone who "likes how they taste") - how do you prepare them to make them... errr... (gulps) "tasty"?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess its just me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't do anything special, I just soak them in water normally. Usually for at least 24 hours, then egg and bread them. Cook em slow. I didn't think it was too bad. to be honest, I never saw them much until the past two years, lately they've been all over. I shot a few two years ago, and I think two last year. I thought they were good. Better then goose.

:eek: better than goose :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you are joking right?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby DuckMN » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:12 pm

Here's your answer in story form.

I have just finished with my duty of cleaning the days bounty. A pheasant, a mallard, ringbill, and a hooded merganser where among the fallen. As nobody would eat the merganser, which nobody intended to shoot at all, I just dumped it whole, with the pheasant remains the the breasted ducks. I went out the next week to see what the coyotes had done. The pheasants wings were eaten off, feathers everywhere. Most ducks are gone including the bones. The merganser is 50 yards from where I left it, totally intact, every single feather exactly as I had left it. If coyotes wont eat them.....
DuckMN
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:48 am

Yeah I always figured if I wanted something fishy i would wat fish not duck..so they really aint my cup of tea...but I have heard of people eatin them but i have also heard of people eatin coot i guess some people just know how to cook them or about to die of starvation. :lol:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby EMR2LK » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:06 pm

YUUUUUUUUKKK!!!!!! I can't stand them.
EMR2LK
hunter

Postby olivehunter » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:22 am

Yeah they are pretty gross, I only ate some on a dare and it was totally disgusting. The hooded ones are real pretty and make for good mounts, as long as you don't mount them flying, cause their wings are pretty small and it looks kinda funny. Long story short don't eat them they taste bad.
olivehunter
hunter

yes

Postby jaydogg » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:11 pm

actually they are good to eat if marinated, dressed right, and parboiled, they can be very good to eat. i am writing a cook book on just diver cooking. Coots are also good to eat if done right.
jaydogg
Banned

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:58 pm

A friend of mine shoots all the coots or mud hens he can.........

He stepped on the feet and pulled the wings to breast it in the field.

Then he would use the meat for a pasta sauce.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 am

We call them fish ducks. I personally dont eat them for i dont shoot them. Let them land, they are good cofidence for other birds.
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Whistlers#1 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm

I have a good recipe for mergansers......Boil them with an anvil or an iron and when you can put a fork in the anvil the mergansers is ready, or nail the merganser to a board and let it sit in the sun for 7 days......after 7 days throw the merganser away and cook the board.
Whistlers#1
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:11 am

Whistlers#1 wrote:I have a good recipe for mergansers......Boil them with an anvil or an iron and when you can put a fork in the anvil the mergansers is ready, or nail the merganser to a board and let it sit in the sun for 7 days......after 7 days throw the merganser away and cook the board.

I heard this works for coot too? :lol:
MacAttack
hunter

ok

Postby jaydogg » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:08 pm

actually merganzers are good to eat if you dress them, and marinate, and cook them right. Buy my cook book.
jaydogg
Banned

Postby duck jerky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:53 pm

they all taste the same i jerky them or wrape bacon around the breast and fry it up yummy :thumbsup:
duck jerky
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 pm

DuckMN wrote:Here's your answer in story form.

I have just finished with my duty of cleaning the days bounty. A pheasant, a mallard, ringbill, and a hooded merganser where among the fallen. As nobody would eat the merganser, which nobody intended to shoot at all, I just dumped it whole, with the pheasant remains the the breasted ducks. I went out the next week to see what the coyotes had done. The pheasants wings were eaten off, feathers everywhere. Most ducks are gone including the bones. The merganser is 50 yards from where I left it, totally intact, every single feather exactly as I had left it. If coyotes wont eat them.....

I'm confused? How did nobody intend to shoot the merganser?
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

fishy

Postby mudduck » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:39 pm

KS_PuddleJumper wrote:their fishy diets make them... uhhhh... less than desirable table fare to most. If you are brave enough to give it a whirl, soak them for a long time in something. To answer your question, w yeah, e elect not to shoot them for that reason...

ya like drano
mudduck
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:51 am

Like Phil Robertson says, "When times are hard." LMAO! :rofl:
vital_kill
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking