Duck Jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Jerky

Postby muskegoduckhunter » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:58 am

When I've made duck jerky in the past, I've always sliced the meat very thin, cured it, slow cooked it in the oven. I'm trying a dehydrator this season. Has anyone made duck jerky by grinding the meat, adding the seasoning and using a jerky shooter?
muskegoduckhunter
Newb

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:48 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I don't have a grinder yet, but I use a cleaver and just chop the hell out of it. Jerky shooter is great!!!
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:18 am

Best grinder I have used/owned, the attachment to my girlfriend's Kitchen Aid mixer. Its plastic, but I have processed 5+ deer and countless other little critters.........

Back to the subject, I am trying goose jerky for my first time. In the oven after sitting in the fridge in my special sauce........
pike_mazter
hunter

Postby muskegoduckhunter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:35 am

So...do you cure the meat first then grind it up, or grind it up, then add the seasoning and cure to the ground meat? Thanks.
muskegoduckhunter
Newb

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 am

muskegoduckhunter wrote:So...do you cure the meat first then grind it up, or grind it up, then add the seasoning and cure to the ground meat? Thanks.
Grind first, cure second.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby muskegoduckhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 pm

NHDuckHunter, one more question. When I've made jerky out of strips of duck breast I've "marinated' the meat in the seasoning/cure for whatever the recommended amount of time was. When I've made jerky out of ground beef, I've simply mixed the seasoning/cure with the meat and it was good to go. So...will I need to allow the ground duck breast meat "marinate" prior to putting through the jerky shooting and drying?
muskegoduckhunter
Newb

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:32 pm

muskegoduckhunter wrote:NHDuckHunter, one more question. When I've made jerky out of strips of duck breast I've "marinated' the meat in the seasoning/cure for whatever the recommended amount of time was. When I've made jerky out of ground beef, I've simply mixed the seasoning/cure with the meat and it was good to go. So...will I need to allow the ground duck breast meat "marinate" prior to putting through the jerky shooting and drying?

Hmm, I always have made mine the same way, marinate in the stuff beforehand, weather it be ground meat or whole, usually at least 24 hours. Sometimes I will actually mix it all, make a half batch, then freeze some of the ground in bags, defrost and make some more later.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking