Duck Hunting Forum banner

Redheads

9K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  tmclaimerFL 
#1 ·
Post your best redhead recipe! Also, I have soaked all of my breasts in buttermilk for 24 hours this season. Anyone ever done that and if so, how did it turn out (better or worse than salt water)?

#3 ·
I soak all my ducks in salt water.

As for Redheads, I haven't shot one in years. But the last time I marinated the breasts overnight in yoshidas gourmet sauce with a garlic and red pepper flakes. I then sauteed up some peppers and onions, at the last minute I threw in the sliced duck breast and only cooked it for about a minute or two longer. Served over rice and it was excellent.

#4 ·
I just will soak them in dales steak seasoning over night. Wrap the breast with a piece of bacon and grill it. Quite good. I usually do that with all my birds.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Mines kinda a weird one that we came up with one night at the hunting camp. We soaked our reds in coke then we found a can of the manderian oranges and sliced an onion. Then wrapped the breast with the orange slice and some onion in bacon. Threw it on the grill with some garlic and pepper. Turned out pretty damn good.

#7 ·
Where in the world are you shooting these redheads that you need all the marinades/sauces/potions? The redheads I've shot....Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin are ABSOLUTELY delicious! I pick 'em, roast in a nest of sauerkraut(seems to soak up excess fat) with a quartered orange as stuffing. Food fit for the gods. I like duck and consider redheads numero uno for roasting.

Steve

#9 ·
duckslayncoastie said:
ibedamn said:
I use wine, vidalia sauce, teriyaki, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and onions. Soak for at least 24 hours. Makes any duck taste great on the grill.
ibedamn

When you use all the sauces do you marinate them for 24 hrs or just soak in water for 24 hours?
If I have time I will soak them in water 12-24 hours. That marinade works best with another 24 or more.

#10 ·
Reds are my favorite,

I soak them in my own brine. Here what I do.

4-6 cups of water
Salt
Brown sugar
Basil
Oregano
Pepper

Bring to a boil and stir constantly.

Let the brine cool down before adding the breast meat ( important, adding to hot water will stimulate bacteria growth)
Let sit in fridge for 24 hours.

Rinse off,
Pat dry,

Add fresh cracked pepper.

Sear breast on hot oil cast iron skillet for 2 mins a side. Eat and enjoy.

Taste just like steak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.