duck breast questions

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

duck breast questions

Postby agengo02 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:17 pm

ok im gonna fry some teal for the first time tonight. ive got them in a marinade right now because i shot them this morning so i didnt have time to let them soak in anything really. ive got my breading that im gonna use, but my question is about the heat setting. shoud i turn it up on med or med/high and fry it really quick, or leave it on med/low or low and let it cook for a little while. i really dont wanna overcook it because its teal meat so im assuming itll cook pretty quick. any suggestions on the heat setting and the time they should stay in there? thanks guys.
agengo02
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:38 am

fry 'em medium high and fast so they're rare, to medium rare, inside. DO NOT OVERCOOK--when overcooked to wher the meat inside is brown and dry they wind up tasting a lot like liver, instead of that rich almost beef-like flavor.

BTW: since you're doing the breading thing, try slicing the breasts into "fingers" and frying them. This way they cook evenly with no raw areas deep inside the breast. I do this a lot with goose breasts, and then I cook the legs separately later... I like the flavor of duck and goos legs
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:43 am

thank you very much for the info! so they wouldnt be cooking very long huh. like 3-5 minutes?
agengo02
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 pm

3 to 5 minutes per side sounds right, depending on how big the breasts are and how hot the pan is. I cook those little tenders (found on the inside of the breasts) by themselves and they may only get 45 seconds per side. experiment and dont' be afraid of red, almost raw, meat.

The interior of any cut of meat is essentially sterile and safe to eat. When beef is chopped into hamburger, contaminants are introduced throughout the meat by the grind blades and that's why burgers need to be fully cooked. So with steaks and other cuts the cantaminants reside only the outside where they are purified by the high temperature cookling, even though the interior is still rare. Also, most of the game birds you clean yourself are much cleaner than animals processed in slaughter plants where there is a continuous food supply for nasty microorganisms.

Bon apetit
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:12 pm

holy crap thank you! im definitely trying these little babies out this weekend!
agengo02
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking