Swamp Puppy's Famous (locally) Black Bean Duck Chili

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Swamp Puppy's Famous (locally) Black Bean Duck Chili

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:57 am

It helps if you have some basic chili making experience already as a lot of this is "add to taste".

you will need:

-2 or 3 medium to large duck breasts (4-6 fillets marinade or prepare however you prefer...i will provide my marinade at the end of the recipe)
-2 packages of black beans
-1 Habanero pepper
-chili powder
-ceyanne pepper (powdered...not the actual pepper)
-1 can of diced green chilis (or dice your own)
-1 can of diced jalapenos (or dice your own)
-1 large sweet or yellow onion (diced)
- salt and pepper
-large can of tomato sauce (26 ounces i think they are)
-couple of heaping tablespoons of brown sugar. (2 or 3 ought to do)

prepare the beans according the directions on the package. usually requires to soak overnight. during this time i usually marinade my duck breasts.

when beans are ready. add the tomato sauce and about half a can of water. you can add moer tomato sauce if you like a thinner chili (you'll need to have more than the one can if you do.)

once you have the sauce on the beans and everything is about the right thickness...add the habanero (whole) and the diced jalapenos, green chilis, and onion. simmer on low heat.

cut your duck breasts into bite size pieces and brown in frying pan. add to chili.

add a heathy ammount of chili powder (probably around an 1/8th of a cup) and a teaspoon of ceyanne pepper powder and the brown sugar.

add a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper.

cover and simmer on low heat for an hour stiring every 10-15 minutes.

add more chili powder - ceyanne - salt/pepper as needed.

continue to simmer for about 4 hours stiring occasionally and adding ingredients to taste.

*warning*

the taste of the chili powder and heat from the cayenne pepper / habanero increase over time. so be careful with what you add after the first hour.

the chili is ready to go ...serve with a cold beverage. preferably the adult kind, but anything will do.

notes:

this is a HOT chili. to reduce the heat, take out the habanero pepper after 1 or 2 hours and cut down on the ceyanne pepper.

for the duck breasts - i soak them in salt water for 4 hours then rise and marinade them overnight in worshestishire (sp??) sauce and 2 cloves.
Last edited by Swamp Puppy on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gahunter » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:35 pm

I made some chili very similar to that the last day of the season. Actually I started the chili, then a buddy came by and asked me to go shoot a roost hole that evening, so my wife ended up doing the cooking. I just gave the basic instructions. I used 4 woody breasts and some deer sausage for the meat. It was the best chili that I have ever eaten and got compliments from others who tried it. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:20 pm

:salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking