To pluck, or not to pluck?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

To pluck, or not to pluck?

Postby Natimage » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:26 pm

First of all...I have NO idea how to pluck and dress a whole bird...I have breasted a few geese but I feel like I'm wasting a lot of good meat. First of all with ducks and geese once coming in from the field now what? How do you pluck and get the guts out and does it matter when you take off the wings and head and feet...basically I'm starting from scratch on this topic...and then...is it really worth plucking the whole bird? Do you get much more meat?
Natimage
hunter

Postby beaukennedy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:33 pm

I completely pluck and dress out some of the big mallards or nice woodys i shoot. If the duck is pinny when your pulling the feathers off, I just breast them out. But if you have a nice duck and the feathers and down are coming off nice, I think it would be worth it to pluck it out and then clean it just like you would a chicken. Pluck all the feathers off the middle section of the bird, both front and back, and then chop off the legs, wings and head. Then slcie a 2" slit just above their pooper and pull the guts out. Keep the heart and gizzard if you want that, and make sure you get all the lungs and vocal cords out. Wash it off good, and maybe run a flame over it to get those little hairs off.
I'll put them in a crock pot with onions, potatos and italian dressing all day on low. YUM YUM.
Happy hunting,
aim small, miss small
beaukennedy
Newb

Postby Duckhunter16 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:40 pm

:dito: I have always liked to pluck them not only do you get more meat but it also feel that it tast better keeps it nice and juice.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking