Why can you safely eat goose/duck medium rare?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Why can you safely eat goose/duck medium rare?

Postby Natimage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:19 am

I'm slightly confused...I know if you overcook fowl it will taste bad...but I would never eat chicken medium rare because of salmonella, steaks yeah because all the nasty stuff is on the outside, and obviously not ground beef because the outside just gets mixed up in the inside...what makes a goose or duck clean on the inside but not a chicken? Are there any risks with eating it medium rare in regard to food poisoning?
Natimage
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:36 am

Dont know maybe its the type of meat i.e red and the fact that it is wild vs raised in a shed with 30,000 of its fellows.
phutch30
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:30 pm

:huh: Not sure myself. I know that I always cook my ducks med./med-well.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby StormWidgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:47 pm

I have wondered the same thing. I have also wondered why a chicken can lay an egg every other day but ducks only lay eggs once a year??? :huh:
StormWidgeon
hunter

med. rare

Postby bailey boy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Iv'e always cooked my ducks , "any game as far as that goes", rare to med. rare mostley rare: Reason being usually the game is a lot fresher than store bought. Who knows how long any meat or fowl has ben in the meat coolers at the market? But even store bought I still eat it rare And I mean rare or even exrta rare ,it has much more flavor than anything cooked to death. Unless is a pot, or oven roast or stew. I make duck or goose pie thats really good and then the meat is cooked till it falls apart but only in this type of cooking. So rare to xtrare for me.
Get em Bailey boy
bailey boy
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:48 pm

Well if you really look at it people ate raw meat for millions of years....the reason we don't eat it now is because we have all been raised with the feeling that meat has to be cooked...the reason that we cook chicken all the way through is because as it sets in the store and then in the fridge it grows bacteria..however if you were to go out and kill a chicken pluck it and then eat it you would should be fine....there has acually be studies done on reaw meat and some show it to be healtier than cooked meat for several reasons for one cooking meat kills emzymes that help break down meat and accually give you more energy...People do not really relize what they can eat.... think of what people that came before us ate why don't we eat the same?? because you don't find it to be civilized and it gose aginst to social norms.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:00 pm

With store-bought chickens, it is a salmonella thing. Most factory chickens are "water cooled" in a brine of filth so nasty that if you saw it you would NEVER eat chicken again - feathers, feces, urine, blood, etc -- and some of this can leach into the meat. It also swells the meat with this witches brew so it sells at several ounces more than it was when freshly drawn. This is why you cook the crap out of them.

If you have a good source of chickens, you could indeed eat them rare to medium. Look for "air cooled" chickens and smaller operations, which can treat their birds better. You definitely can do eat pheasants (Ditch Chickens) medium-rare; I always cook my pheasant breasts with a little pink in them, like pork.

Mostly we don't do it because people get freaked out by the sight and mouthfeel of underdone chicken. The Japanese will eat it raw, which I suppose I'd try if I REALLY trusted the purveyor.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm

It's worth saying here that this is one of the reasons hunting is better than buying your meat in styrofoam trays at the local supermarket. Good life, quick death, healthy and nutritious meat.

Next time some non-hunter asks you how you can eat those cute little ducks, ask 'em how they can eat that flavorless garbage that's been steeped in chicken poop after a short life of torture in a one-cubic-inch cage.

OK, so diplomacy has never been one of my strong suits... :no:

But the more we learn about factory farming, the less you see factory farmed meat on our table.
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Oklahomaflash » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:39 pm

I believe but not 100 % sure Chickens are born with salimanela (spelling) I think it is even in the eggs. it is why they say not to eat raw eggs.... Like I could ever do that one anyway.
Oklahomaflash
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:29 am

You can eat raw cookie dough??? I can't stop when there is some around I hear not to eat that raw because of the raw eggs in it. But cookie dough taste soooooooo goooooooooood :thumbsup:
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 pm

NorCal Cazadora wrote:
OK, so diplomacy has never been one of my strong suits... :no:

But the more we learn about factory farming, the less you see factory farmed meat on our table.

I am in the same boat as you; I had an anti ask me how I could eat deer. I said I shot him he was dead before he even knew what hit him, unlike that cow your eating who had its through slit and left to bleed to death.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:46 pm

I dont know about the raw eggs having salmanella but I drank two raw eggs in milk every morning for years.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Flatcoat1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

The big difference between store-bought and home-raised chicken is mainly how they are killed and processed (excluding the feeding, antibiotics, etc...). A commercial processor literally does hundreds or even thousands in a day and it is not the best thing to watch. Whenever I kill a chicken and clean it out, I can take my time and be neat about it. If you happen to gut shoot a goose or duck I would tend to cook it a little longer. Cook it and ENJOY!
Flatcoat1
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:57 pm

chicken (and pork for that matter) have naturally occurring salmonella and harmful strains of bacteria which are both on the surface and the within of the meat, which is why we are always told to cook them well done. Those harmful ingredients ain't in beef. As for duck, I dunno.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking