What About Geese

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

What About Geese

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:28 am

Ok well on are way to hunting last night we drove by a field and no joke saw about 2000 Canadians flying around this field now Sat. if I get out of work on time my dad and I around going to try and either walk both edges of the field him on one side me on the other and push them all over or were just going to find a gully that has cover and wait for them too come to us. Anyways I want to know if Geese are good eating?
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:31 am

first :welcome: to DHC

I have always like them...I think they are really good but it really depends on how you cook them, there are some great recipes on here if you dig around a little. By the way if your goin to pluck them when you clean them good luck. :lol:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:35 pm

:welcome: To DHC

I love to eat goose breast wraped in bacon and grilled to med rare. :drool: :drool:
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby orange legs » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Will Hunt- do you marinate them first or just wrap em?
There's nothing better than your son's first word being geese!!!
Upper Red Rock Committee Chairman DU
Buck Gardner Calls Field Staff
Dakota Decoys Staff
orange legs
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:25 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone and the reply's I asked my dad he said there ok to eat, its kinda like beef so I'm thinking maybe a stew with it. I LOVE SPICY BEEF STEW so maybe do the same with a goose or two :grooving:
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 pm

orange legs wrote:Will Hunt- do you marinate them first or just wrap em?

I am usually cooking for the ole lady who does not like her meat to taste game. So I will cube the breasts in to bite size peaces and then soak them in water, salt, and Apple Cider vinegar for about 4 hours. I then season the meat with salt and pepper, Italian spices and a little A-1 to make it like a light glaze, wrap it in 1/2 strip bacon an then either fry in a pan or place on the grill. I have cooked the meat with out soaking and I like that way too.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby wildfire5 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:41 am

A good way I have found to cook them is to make a stroganoff. The guys at the firehouse love it. I take the breast and cut it into thin peices like jerky. Put it into a crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup mix and a diced onion with a little water. Let it cook slow all day and then pour over egg noodles YUMMY.
2007-08 season totals
Mallard-0
Woodies-11
Ringnecks-1
Teal-3
Bluebills-5
Canadians-17
Weigons-0
Bufflehead-2
Ruddys-3
Hairy heads-5
Bands-1
wildfire5
hunter

Postby Natimage » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:31 am

a GREAT recipe I found and ate this past weekend is at
http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/waterfowl ... dgoose.php

I used a little less soy, no current, and MORE TRIPLE SEC! It turned out great and even those weary of eating goose loved it...JUST DON'T OVERCOOK IT! and something I wish I would have done is to tie the ends of the best around so it wasn't so thin on the ends...i just cut off the ends though and fed them to my girlfriends dog. He loved 'em! I also used lemon pepper as a seasoning on the grill and it turned out great!
Natimage
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking