Goose jerky question?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Goose jerky question?

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Before I dive into using my dehydrator for the first time for goose jerky, do I need to use a cure? (sodium nitrate). The jerky recipes in the sticky don't mention using a cure. Thanks...
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Goose jerky question?

Postby Mugzwump » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Not to my knowledge. I've done it a few different ways, I've dried it in the oven too. Usually that stuff doesn't stick around the house long enough to go bad. By far the best is to smoke it. I'll keep it in the fridge anyways.

Good luck

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks Mugz. I've made venison jerky from ground venison in the oven without a cure and lived to tell about it. Lot's of opinions out there. I'll go without for this batch. And like you said, it will go quick if it's good.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 am

Yeah.. dried in the oven it'll last up to two weeks in the fridge. After that I'd feed it to the dog. If you don't need to add crap to it to keep it from going bad over a year on the shelf... best to go natural.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Ok I'm hooked on the jerky thing. I've always grilled my duck breasts and will continue to do so. I will however start to jerky more now that I've had a successful trial at goose jerky. My dehydrator heats to 155 degrees so it took about 9 hours to finish 1/8 inch slices. I consider my game cooking a success when my wife and kids will eat it, and my wife does not stand for much gamey flavor. The wife and kids ate it up. :thumbsup:
goosejerky.JPG
Attachments
beerjerky.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Right on! It looks great. I don't use a dehydrator, usually use a smoker or the oven. I have done it over an open firepit a few times as well... still takes 9 hours, or longer! As for the wife and kids... keep feeding it to them, they'll soon be giving you crap for coming home empty handed, hell I get the cold shoulder from the wife if there isn't at least one mallard in my bag!

:beer:
Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:04 pm

I usually use High mountain jerky seasonings for my goose jerky (has cure). I only dehydrate mine for about 4-5 hrs @ 165. I like my jerky still chewy. Any longer for my setup, its like eating chips
Attachments
Goose Jerky.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:I usually use High mountain jerky seasonings for my goose jerky (has cure). I only dehydrate mine for about 4-5 hrs @ 165. I like my jerky still chewy. Any longer for my setup, its like eating chips

That really looks good!!!!
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking