bufflehead...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

bufflehead...

Postby t-ville » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:42 pm

how do you guys cook them?
t-ville
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 pm

I brine them in salty water overnight, then roast them medium to rare. (won't take long, maybe 8-12 minutes in a 400 degree oven) With divers I would recommend a sauce, like a red wine sauce or something with some bold flavor. Divers in general can be a tad fishy, and the one bufflehead I've eaten was good, just a little fishy. They're not teal.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:19 pm

i shoot a bunch of buffies and believe it or not some of them are as good as teal, but not many unfortunatly, to be honest i have never experienced a breed of duck that varys from one to the next in flavor as the buffies we shoot. anyway we always cook them rare, usually sear each side in a very hot pan, throw in some onions or shallots, some carrot slices(long and thin), fresh thyme and rosmary, salt and pepper and then throw in a hot oven for five minutes or so until 120-130 degrees internal. pull out the duck and plate, pull out the rosemary and thyme then wisk some cold butter in with the wine left in the pan(i usaully reduce the wine before i add to the pan) most of the buffies are more livery tasting than fishy and the rareness helps avoid that
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking