Fishy pintail?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Fishy pintail?

Postby MD » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Got a pintail on the weekend here on the West Coast.

My wife plucked it and breasted it.

Made soup with the carcass and we had it for lunch and it tasted oddly fishy.

Then she broiled the breasts last night and the odour kind of fouled up the kitchen.

Anyway, they were edible, but tasted like mussels with a metallic after taste. Odd.

She said it was a lot like canned whale meat she'd had in Japan.

I would have expected a diver to taste like that but I thought pintails were more dabblers and vegetarian. This one seemed to think it was a surf scoter in the dietary department!
MD
hunter

Postby mallard molester » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 am

I live on the west coast and most the pintail we shoot taste like divers Although pins are puddler's I think they eat more carnivorously than mallards and wigeon. where abouts were you hunting?
mallard molester
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:09 pm

MD, I shoot more divers than puddlers and while most divers arent fishy, in my experience only merganzers are always fishy, it all depends on what they are eating. the best duck i have ever eaten was a redhead shot off lake michigan but i have also had redhead that have a fishy muddy kind of aftertaste. i know this may sound nuts but before i go through the trouble of plucking a bird i give it a good smell especially around the shot up area and you can smell if it is fishy or not and worth the trouble of plucking. I realize pintails are not divers but im sure the same applies
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking