The ONLY way to cook coots and mergansers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

The ONLY way to cook coots and mergansers

Postby herblorentz78 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:36 pm

First you start by wrapping the breasts with premium bacon. I use the bacon I get from our annual pig butchering party, double smoked delicious. Then you put them in a glass dish with a lid to keep them moist. Bake at 400 degrees approximately 12 minutes or so. It is hard to tell rarity beacause of the red color of the meat. Then remove from oven, unwrap bacon, throw away breasts and eat bacon. Those breasts still wont taste worth a damn no matter how you cook them. lol :rofl:
herblorentz78
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Why taint good bacon?!?! LOL
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Don't we have enough threads bashing coots and merganser? :fingerhead:
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby quackstacker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:43 pm

I agree, bacon will be wasted. :rofl:
My lab is smarter than your honor student!
quackstacker
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:55 pm

Actually if you marinade it and then grill it or bread it and fry it is really good. Most people are so afraid to try it but are so quick to bash it. Just my 2 cents.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

oh no not that joke again

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:43 am

if you dont want to eat it, then dont kill it.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby supaquack » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:22 am

badandy970 wrote:Actually if you marinade it and then grill it or bread it and fry it is really good. Most people are so afraid to try it but are so quick to bash it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%
1446 with a 40 Yamaha
supaquack
hunter

Postby jolejnik4bmx » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:12 am

the first time i ate mergy i thought it was alright i ate it with bbq sauce. it tasted like liver but whatever i like eating liver....
jolejnik4bmx
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:20 pm

I have eaten hooded mergs, scoters, oldsquaw and goldeneyes none tasted like fish all were GOOD! The key is to soak the breast meat in salt water for an hour then buttermilk and your favorite spice overnight I use garlic. You can then wrap them with bacon with a waterchestnut or a bannana pepper or a peppercini in the middle put several rollups on two water soaked bamboo skewers put on a little soy or terriyaki and grill(2 skewers makes them easy to turn several at once) do not over cook as soon as the bacon is done they are done. YOU WILL LOVE THEM but whatever way you cook them they should be medium not well done or theywill taste like crap. Medium tastes like steak well done tastes like liver if you don't believe me cook 2 pieces from the same duck one well one medium rare it makes a huge difference!
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby badandy970 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:14 pm

I was actually Eye Ballen some tonight, I am grilling it tommorow.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:59 am

I don't know about merganser, but when we're at the camp and running low on food, we go hunt up a flock of poule d'eaux (coot to you unfortunates north of about I-20) and commence to "baggin groceries".
Breasted fresh and then slow cooked in a cajun gumbo, I've fed them to many an unsuspecting yank, generally 2-3 servings accompanied with MMMMM'S and grunt,slurp,"good",burp.
If you're gonna walk the wild side with merganser, I've heard a 2 hour soak in white or balsamic vinegar eliminates the fishy taste, but I've never tried it.
But then again, I am from Louisiana, and I eat crawfish, nutria, gator, blood boudin, raw oysters, etc.... so keep that in mind when you evaluate the suitability of coot for your delicate taste preferences.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

I like to take the breasts and grind the meat to make Tacos and Spaghetti. You can also take the breast and cut into thin strips and cook it fast in olive oil and make fajitas. I take the legs and put them in the smoker for snacks while we're hunting.

If you lay the coot on it's back, stand on the feet and pull the wings toward you, you can pull the breast off. Then just peel the skin back and cut the legs out. I can clean 25 in about 15 minutes.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:51 pm

My policy I faithfully follow for merganser and coot is leave them be unless a mountible merg comes cruising by. :yes:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:39 am

I normally don't shoot coots or mergansers, but people from Louisiana don't lie, Gumbo makes everything great.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby 13ways » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:14 pm

The poule d'eaux (coots) also have a nice size gizzard in them. Clean the gizzard and throw that in your gumbo too. :thumbsup:
Duck hunting gets me wet!
13ways
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm originally from East Texas, but since moving to missouri, I can't find File powder. And you can find red pepper, but it comes in really small containers.

You can say a lot of things about louisiana, but you guys could make a possum taste good. I miss my creole and cajun food.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Johnny Vegas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:44 am

related- but slightly off topic- alot of guys like to say "if you shoot it, you should eat it"- I agree- but lets face it there are a few critters out there that just aren't real popular as table fare- ie. crows, coyotes and yes mergies. I understand they can be eaten- so can my boots- so if you can stomach them you're lucky.

but does this lack of "eatability" mean they should be allowed to populate unchecked?
All you deer hunters know what too many coyotes mean- and where are all the outraged fisherman calling for population control of mergies?? why do you think the limits are so liberal? Shoot the little bastards- we'll make up for it by eating all the extra fish that'll be around!! :biggrin: Now we just need to talk them into a comorant season- how many fish have you guys watched one of those eat as you fish?
Johnny Vegas
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:22 am

i would at least feed it to my dog or something....somebody's gots to eat....
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby Johnny Vegas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Thats exactly what I do- ground up mergs and the occasional eider mixed in with the kibble. I grill it- (outside haha) then zap it in a food processor (and after the 1st time- i do that outside too!) you actually end up with a nice shredded meat that they love- and despite what you'd think- no gastro-intestinal backlash.

incidentallt they make good bait for fishers- if you're into trapping- I don't do it myself but know a few guys that do
Johnny Vegas
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Johnny Vegas wrote:related- but slightly off topic- Now we just need to talk them into a comorant season- how many fish have you guys watched one of those eat as you fish?

More than I care too. Those things are a nuisance and something needs to be done. Im waiting on the day the let me drop the hammer on them.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Im waiting on the day the let me drop the hammer on them.

I thought they did... They took 'em off the endangered speicies list about five years ago. Don't think they are protected any more but someone might want to check this out.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby flatiron » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:45 am

Cormorants control fish populations, coyotes control deer, wolves control elk, and so on. The balance of an ecological system doesn't depend on you getting your big butt out of bed to shoot the nearest thing that moves. Mind you, predators normally take out the injured, sick, and weak prey which leaves more food for the heathy ones, resulting in bigger things for you to shoot.
flatiron
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Cormorant populations can get out of control. Just as do ducks, deer, fish and any other species left uncontrolled. It is a problem and not a reason to kill senselessly. Their numbers have increased drastically and it is causing problems on many lakes. Maybe not around you, but there have been several lake communities to try and have the birds removed or detered with air cannons but the game and fish can not do it because the birds are still federally protected.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby duckhnter4life » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:19 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:. And you can find red pepper, but it comes in really small containers.

Thats a huge miss conception I think. I was born and raised in scott lousisiana and nothing my grandparents ever!!! made was hot(spicey) in mot bashen just on you becuase all resturaunts that dont know what cajun food is, just throw pepper on there and "wha la" they think its cajun. I will admit that all the ducks that I shoot I give to my grandma to throw in her gumbo for thanksgiving and christmas. And NONE of her food is spicy and a Garuante you that if you had her food or anyones food from south lousisana that can cook, you would think no one else in the country can cook.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:36 pm

duckhnter4life wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:. And you can find red pepper, but it comes in really small containers.

Thats a huge miss conception I think. I was born and raised in scott lousisiana and nothing my grandparents ever!!! made was hot(spicey) in mot bashen just on you becuase all resturaunts that dont know what cajun food is, just throw pepper on there and "wha la" they think its cajun. I will admit that all the ducks that I shoot I give to my grandma to throw in her gumbo for thanksgiving and christmas. And NONE of her food is spicy and a Garuante you that if you had her food or anyones food from south lousisana that can cook, you would think no one else in the country can cook.

You don't have to have red pepper, but I think it adds some good flavor. Good Gumbo is more about the roux than the red pepper.

Cajun food is definitely one of the things I miss about growing up in East Texas, about 45 minutes from the Louisiana / Texas line. Depending on where you go, some is spicier than others, but its non-existent in Missouri.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking