Plucking

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Plucking

Postby mallardrocker » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:23 am

I want to know how to pluck a duck, on youtube there is a video that like does it in 2 minutes with this wheel thing, does anyone know how ot make that? Or can you show with pictures how to pluck a duck, cause i cant grasp the concept.
mallardrocker
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:58 am

The machine you are talking about has several different manufacturers to my understanding. If you google "duck plucker" you should come up with the various manufacturers that make them. They are all pretty expensive, excepting the model that someone makes which attaches to a portable drill and costs around 30 dollars I think.
I know people that use them and love them, but I stick to the wax method for plucking birds.
Basically, you begin pulling off feathers from the body with your hands. While this is going on, I heat up a large stock pot of water (2 Gallons or so) with 1 block of paraffin, gulf wax or similar. Make sure that the water/wax is warmed up enough so the wax is melted and not visible in the mix - but also not hot enough to cook the flesh of the bird. Then I dip the mostly plucked bird in the wax 2-3 times briefly, allowing it to dry slightly between dips.
Then you can basically remove any remaining feathers/pins along with a thin layer of wax.
Or, you can do what a lot of folks seem to do and just breast them out.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 pm

I personally find the easiest way being to pluck and THEN gut - keeps the wax out of the cavity, and as small amount as that may be, I dont want to dig around too much to remove it.
Thanks for calling me on that, I may have skipped some parts I dont think about.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 pm

pluck, then singe, then gut.

parrafin works really well but it's a pain, so I just use a propane torch or my propane Bunson burner (for frying turkeys) to singe the last of the down feathers, o nce I've hand plucked all the big feathers. singe outdoors... it smells like burnt hair.

Also, leave the wings and feet on till after you singe so you can move the wings and legs to get at and singe those arm- and leg-pit down feathers...
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:49 pm

dudejcb wrote:parrafin works really well but it's a pain, so I just use a propane torch or my propane Bunson burner (for frying turkeys) to singe the last of the down feathers,

Admit it, you just like playing with fire.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:44 pm

Bulls eye Frodo! Love the flame... precious flame... me wants it, me needs it.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby cajunsticker » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Do ya'll like the skin on the duck? why not skin them?
spoonie
cajunsticker
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:02 pm

cajunsticker wrote:Do ya'll like the skin on the duck? why not skin them?

Since duck is fairly lean, leaving the skin on maintains the quality of the meat. The other option is barding - or wrapping with bacon, though its certainly not out of the question to do both (leave the skin on and bard).
It really comes down to the fact that most folks just don't want to spend the time plucking a duck and keeping the skin intact and therefore breast them out.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:04 am

i do both, pluck them and breast them out. whenever i breast them out i still leave the skin on the breast though, for cooking reasons. when i pluck them i usually do it in the blind, if you pluck a duck while its still warm all the feather come right out.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:59 pm

dudejcb wrote:pluck, then singe, then gut.

parrafin works really well but it's a pain, so I just use a propane torch or my propane Bunson burner (for frying turkeys) to singe the last of the down feathers, o nce I've hand plucked all the big feathers. singe outdoors... it smells like burnt hair.

Also, leave the wings and feet on till after you singe so you can move the wings and legs to get at and singe those arm- and leg-pit down feathers...

:dito: thats what I have always done a little practice and you'll be a pro.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:56 pm

duckjumper turned me on to plucking some of the birds instead of skinning them all in a thread last year and its worth it i think, i dont pluck every bird but when i get a fat one that isnt shot up it gets plucked. i have since tried the singe method, and jcb i got you beat i used a propane shrink wrap gun 150,000 btu i think, three foot flame, ive done the hand pull and wax method worked but is tedious. then i looked in to the plucker machines, they look like a washtub with a bunch of big rubber fingers inside, big money and are meant for three or four birds at once, alot of trouble if your not doing a hundred birds. anyway talked to a guy online that built his own and was telling me how well it works if the birds are properly scalded. scalded? he went on to tell me how you take the birds, his were farm birds, kill them and dip them in a big pot of 145 to 165 degree water, cooler if the birds are just killed hotter if they have cooled. then shake the hell out of the birds under water until the wing feathers pull out easy. he had a metal thing that held the birds so you dont get scalded yourself. he also puts a couple drops of dawn or some kind of soap in the water so it gets through the feathers and to the skin faster. it really works, takes a minute or three depending on the bird but when i did it alot of the feathers just wiped off, even got the stubborn ones under the wing joints and that. well worth a try especially for you guys already heating water for the wax :thumbsup:
following is a link to the "whizbang chicken scalder" looks kinda mean http://www.thedeliberateagrarian.blogsp ... matic.html
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 pm

The Whizbang Chicken Scalder...that is just a great name. :rofl:
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby WaterInMyWaders » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 pm

jehler wrote:duckjumper turned me on to plucking some of the birds instead of skinning them all in a thread last year and its worth it i think, i dont pluck every bird but when i get a fat one that isnt shot up it gets plucked. i have since tried the singe method, and jcb i got you beat i used a propane shrink wrap gun 150,000 btu i think, three foot flame, ive done the hand pull and wax method worked but is tedious. then i looked in to the plucker machines, they look like a washtub with a bunch of big rubber fingers inside, big money and are meant for three or four birds at once, alot of trouble if your not doing a hundred birds. anyway talked to a guy online that built his own and was telling me how well it works if the birds are properly scalded. scalded? he went on to tell me how you take the birds, his were farm birds, kill them and dip them in a big pot of 145 to 165 degree water, cooler if the birds are just killed hotter if they have cooled. then shake the hell out of the birds under water until the wing feathers pull out easy. he had a metal thing that held the birds so you dont get scalded yourself. he also puts a couple drops of dawn or some kind of soap in the water so it gets through the feathers and to the skin faster. it really works, takes a minute or three depending on the bird but when i did it alot of the feathers just wiped off, even got the stubborn ones under the wing joints and that. well worth a try especially for you guys already heating water for the wax :thumbsup:
following is a link to the "whizbang chicken scalder" looks kinda mean http://www.thedeliberateagrarian.blogsp ... matic.html

Thats exactly how we did it on the ranch when I was growing up but instead of ducks it was chickens mostly with what ever ducks I shot. You heat a 55 gallon drum of water with some soap to cut threw the oil. Stick your featherd critter in for a few seconds give him a few good shakes and with some bailing wire hang him up and start picking. If the feathers dont come out easly dip him again for a little longer and repeat. :yes:
Cleaning my Gun with the Safety Off
WaterInMyWaders
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking