Make anyone a believer- Guaranteed!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Make anyone a believer- Guaranteed!

Postby Adrenal-Line » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:07 am

Guaranteed to be a hit and make everyone a believer of duck! This process takes AWHILE to prepare so planning is essential! Prep time is 4 days! After debreasting your fowl bird (ensure skin is removed), geese, ducks or crane, cut into small 1" to 1.5" squares and put into a Tupperware containing approximately 2 TBS of Kosher Salt for 6 or more breasts. Let soak all day or overnight and drain in morning/ evening using a strainer and rinse. Fill up Tupperware again with water only this time and place your fowl cubes back in. Drain at night/ morning and soak again overnight/ day in regular water. At the beginning of the third day/ evening drain water and add Claudes Beef brisket liquid marinade or liquid flavoring of your choice and add spices to coat pieces such as pepper, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, or other spices that you enjoy inside the marinade bath. Let soak overnight/ day. Cut bacon into 1.5" to 2" inch strips (enough to wrap around each square) and use either a toothpick to hold the bacon on or a skewer which is the preferred method for quick and easy cooking on the grill. once all fowl has been skewered, set grill to medium heat and place on grill, (add either apple, hickoy, or mesquite wood chips if possible) cook approximately 4 mins on each side to no more than 10 minutes total (bacon should almost be cooked or cooked depending on heat. Remove from grill and place on a cookie sheet. You can eat them as is or for better flavor, remove all pieces from skewer or toothpicks, remove bacon from fowl pieces, set aside fowl and cook bacon in a pan, once grease is present and bacon is cooked to your desire, remove from heat and add fowl. Toss together so that every piece is covered with bacon grease and enjoy! *Tip* You can dust some salt, pepper and garlic powder over fowl after cooking in pan for enhanced flavor* If fowl is overcooked it may have a liver taste, however, if it is undercooked it may have the same flavor so grilling it properly is essential! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my entire family and friends do! please fill free to post any adjustments you have made to make this recipe even better!
Adrenal-Line
DHC Sponsor

Re: Make anyone a believer- Guaranteed!

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:13 pm

This has had a lot of views and I'm sure your duck bites are great. I'm not knocking it at all, BUT, my wife and kids are believers and I can have a duck shot in the morning on the grill that night with no leftovers. Four day prep seems a little long for puddle ducks. I usually use a quick olive oil based marinade with just a few dry ingredients to spice it up.

I say to my family, "Can you believe this was flying around just 12 hours ago?"
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Make anyone a believer- Guaranteed!

Postby Adrenal-Line » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:35 am

Baymen Moe wrote:This has had a lot of views and I'm sure your duck bites are great. I'm not knocking it at all, BUT, my wife and kids are believers and I can have a duck shot in the morning on the grill that night with no leftovers. Four day prep seems a little long for puddle ducks. I usually use a quick olive oil based marinade with just a few dry ingredients to spice it up.

I say to my family, "Can you believe this was flying around just 12 hours ago?"

Baymen, I welcome the feedback! Yes it can be done in a day or two day prep such as soak one night in Kosher salt water and one day marinade but I like to draw out as much blood as possible for a less "gamey" flavor for those who do not like wild game. It is all preference, I have done both and I like it either way but for those who want it to taste like a steak with minimal "gamey" flavor for those squeamish people, than I think the key is to draw out the blood. However, I would like to challenge you to try this one out and see what you think and let me know!
Adrenal-Line
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking