Hanging Ducks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Hanging Ducks

Postby Remington Steele » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:00 am

Does anyone hang their birds before cleaning/eating and if so for how long. I've heard of this being done any where from a couple days to a week???
Remington Steele
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:25 am

I don't hang geese or ducks because where I shoot them, they are often nice and fat. Fat goes rancid fast, so the general rule is to eat or freeze fat birds quickly.

Traditionally, it's pheasants, grouse and the like that are hung. They are lean birds and can use some hanging time. Most people will gut the birds in the feathers, then stuff clean paper towels in the cavity (loosely), then hang for a few days to -- if you're English -- a few weeks. I might try hanging a duck that was really skinny (wigeon are often this way) but never anything with decent fat.

Hope this helps,

d.j.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby mallard molester » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:24 pm

my dad used to hang them till the heads fell of about a week
I never hang birds it tastes better but it seems kinda gross to me :tongue:
mallard molester
hunter

Postby Danbeaux » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:16 am

I have hung birds many times and the flavor is better and they cook more tender, especially if you want to roast the birds. But you can also wet age the birds and get the same result.
I clean or breast out the ducks/geese as soon as I get home. Then put them in ziplock bags and fill the bag with water and place in the fridge. Then I change the water in the bags every half hour or hour till I have changed it about 5 times and the water stays mostly clear. then I reseal the bags with the birds and no water. Let them sit in the fridge for 5 days (or until the wife says "Are you gonna do anything with those ducks?"). Then cook or freeze. It does help the flavor.
Danbeaux
hunter

Re: Hanging Ducks

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 pm

I have spent two years in northern England. Hanging small game in the meat market was common. I came from a hunting tradition.We never did it at home so I thought it strange to see. I had a landlord who commonly bought game from the hanging ,market. I was so grateful to get meat once in a while that I got over the newness of it. I am now sorry that I didn't pay better attention to the technical features of the practice. My landlord never served something that we couldn't enjoy.

Mark F Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking