cure for gamey taste

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

cure for gamey taste

Postby vital_kill » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 pm

I hear a lot of you guys talk about gamey taste. Some people love it, some people don't. I'm from asian ethnic background and there's 2 herb that will take out the gamey taste a lot. LEMONGRASS and KAFFIR LIME LEAVES. Chop the tender bottom of the lemongrass and add to game soups, stews or marinades. It has a lemony scent and flavor. Kaffir leaves works best in soups and stews and add a nice aroma to it.
vital_kill
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:27 pm

Guess you'd be Vietnamese, Hmong ot Thai then! Good ideas both. Lemongrass is starting to show up in supermarkets these days, so people might be able to get it. Do you add it in at the end? That's what I do, and the lemon flavor seems to stay pretty strong.

As for kaffir lime, good luck finding it outside of a California Asian market. It *is* a cool ingredient -- basically a lime-flavored Bay leaf -- but even I have a tough time finding it in Sacramento...Vital, you know where to findi it around here?

d.j.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:15 pm

PM sent DJ. Both herbs work together REALLY WELL with calm chowder too. Did I mention spoonies too?
vital_kill
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking