Secret Recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Secret Recipe

Postby duckbagg » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:53 pm

Ok guys this is one I learned from a friend and it is a real crowd pleaser. I haven't seen anything like it on the forum so here goes.

What you need:

Whole plucked ducks skin on.
Cabbage
Fresh sausage (Hot) like breakfast sausage not link.
4 Onions
4 Garlic cloves
Cajun seasoning
Red wine
Brown Sugar
Cooking Oil

Coat ducks inside and out with seasoning,
Stuff ducks with whole cabbage leaves and sausage,
Brown ducks in oil in large dutch oven or similar pot for about 15-20min. then add onion and brown a little longer until onion begins to turn clear, add garlic (chopped). Transfer to large counter top roasting oven. Add water, red wine and sprinkle generous amount of brown sugar on top of ducks. Cook 3-4 hours on Med. I usually start the ducks breast down and then turn in the last hour or so and you know they are ready when the wings turn easily. Serve over white rice. Makes a nice gravy also.

Let me know if ya like.
Mad at ducks for 24yrs so far.
duckbagg
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I just order a Good wine Just for this.(Fox Gordon :Shiraz: 2003 BAROSSA Valley)

And Since I don't pluck duck's I got 6 of them coming from a Relative close hunting lodge.

sounds Good,I let you know how it goes

:thumbsup:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:56 pm

OK, a few questions. One, do you submerge the duck in wine? Or do you rest the duck on the onions, which are submerged, and then slow-roast the duck on top? Is the Dutch oven covered? Do you let the skin crisp up?

I am assuming you line the inside of the duck with a cabbage leaf, then stuff the rest of the space with the sausage, yes?

All in all, sounds like a fine recipe, one of the very few I've seen that cooks a duck beyond medium that I might try. What do you serve it with?
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Not sure how duckbagg does it. But far as the wine. I have a rotersie I will use.. So ill use 1/4 drippings 3/4 wine. and Inject it into the meat every 30min, About 1/4 cup per injection. that way the wine will cook from inside out. I also will most likely put the onion's, and garlic inside the duck with the sausage and cabbage. I will more than likely add some of my own spices to it, such a Rosemary and maybe throw some lemon slice inside there too. I perhaps may even make a Sweet Orange sauce to add to it. I will serve with fresh fruit most likely, things of that sort.

If you wanted to go different way, you could serve on a Dirty rice base, served with "Red Hot Potato's" Some good rolls with a honey butter and another item of choice. as far as beverages, THe red wine yo cooked with maybe great, depending on which one you get, or just some good southern sweet tea.

This is just my take on the matter.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbagg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:57 pm

duckjumper wrote:OK, a few questions. One, do you submerge the duck in wine? Or do you rest the duck on the onions, which are submerged, and then slow-roast the duck on top? Is the Dutch oven covered? Do you let the skin crisp up?

I am assuming you line the inside of the duck with a cabbage leaf, then stuff the rest of the space with the sausage, yes?

All in all, sounds like a fine recipe, one of the very few I've seen that cooks a duck beyond medium that I might try. What do you serve it with?

First I do not completely submerge the ducks just enough liquid to cover up about the bottom 1/4 of the bird and yes I do put the onions on the bottom. When browning the birds I do not cover as I am trying to get a good seal on the bird so it will not dry out (very important part). Also you are correct on the cabbage leaf. Also note that the cabbage and sausage is going to absorb some strong flavors from the duck and impart some very mild ones to the duck so you may or may not want to eat the stuffing.
Mad at ducks for 24yrs so far.
duckbagg
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Cool. I will give it a go!
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Danbeaux » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:10 am

Just as a recomendation....

After you have browned the ducks, and cooked the onions and transferred the onions and garlic to the roasting pan.... de-glaze the dutch oven with the wine you are going to use. It suprises alot of folks how much flavor is lost when you don't do this step.

I do a similar sausage stuffed roasted goose. Comes out excellent every time.
Danbeaux
hunter

Postby uglyduckling » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:09 pm

sounds yummy, thanks for sharing!
uglyduckling
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking