Grilling Ducks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Grilling Ducks

Postby jeff_osu » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:49 am

So I went down to s. ok for a hunt, but it was slow and I only got one gw teal. I head back up the same day, with the teal packed in some ice. I usually soak them in salt water, but was tired and didn't feel like doing it. I get back to town and watch the Bedlam game with some folks and we throw bratwursts on the grill. As an afterthought, I threw my teal on there.

I ate every bit of it, but definitely not the way to cook teal. I just didn't want to have to hassle with roasting for just one bird. What are some better ways to grill a duck, if any?
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:53 am

If your going to grill it the best way is to just grill the breasts. Take the breast out and debone it. Now you have two halves. Take one half and put a jalapeno and a little cream cheese in the center of the breast, fold in half and wrap in bacon. Cook on med. low heat on the grill until the bacon is done. This is great.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Smackaduck's method works fine, but I don't debone my ducks for the grill. What I do is this:

I take a chef's knife (or other large knife) and cut out the back of the duck, in two cuts, one on either side of the backbone. Then, if you are feeling anal retentitve, carefully cut out the ribs and the keel bone. I rarely do this, so I just crack all the ribs to spread the bird sorta flat.

Then. I paint the duck with lard or duck fat, salt it heavily and put on the grill skin side down. When the skin is brown and crispy, turn over and finish on the cut side. This is when you can paint the skin side with a sauce if you want to.

This method is, IMHO, tastier than boning, but it's waaay messier...
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:12 pm

This is going to be so easy your gonna wonder how you ever got along without it.................

Breast duck.

Soak halves in water for about 1/2 hour, changing the water every 5 minutes or until it runs clear. (to get the blood out.....this is where the gamey taste comes from)

Put breast in cereal bowl and cover in Olive Oil.

Season salt (Lowerys) and fresh
cracked pepper BOTH sides.

Place back in bowl of oil.

Go fire up the grill and getta beer.

When the grill is ready cook breasts to med. rare. I cook everything on high so it takes me about 8-10 minutes.

I like to serve mine with Grey Poupon but any brown or spicey mustard will do for dipping.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby birdman07 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 pm

I let them soak in water for an hour or so...then wrap in bacon and place in apporpriate size zip lock bag fill with some italian dressing. place in fridge for another hour or so....throw on grill low-med. heat. once bacon is cooked they should be good to go. Grab a beer and enjoy...Also, I do my dove the same way.
birdman07
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking