The best bufflehead recipe?....Anyone

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

The best bufflehead recipe?....Anyone

Postby xtrema 1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:06 pm

My hunting partner and I shot a couple limits of buffies the other day. Now I need to cook them up. I'm looking for everyone's favorite recipe for cokking buffies up. I'm sure there's some. Thanks
:help:
Xtrema
xtrema 1
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:19 pm

My friend makes them in to jerky.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Not that there's anything wrong with jerky, but you get so little off a Bufflehead it seems like a waste. (Snow geese are perfect for jerky, IMHO).

I would brine them in 1/4 cup kosher salt to 4 cups water, plus 1/4 cup brown sugar, two bay leaves and some random other spices you like (fennel, caraway, oregano thyme, etc. - just not all at once...), crush two cloves of garlic and add a few chili flakes are let the birds sit in this brine in the fridge for two days.

Take 'em out, dry them off and cook them slow and low on a smoker, or in a 275 degree oven. Baste with maple syrup. Eat. Thank me afterwards! :rofl:

Seriously, if you have plucked buffies, this is a great recipe. It applies to all divers except mergansers, which are beyond help, and cans, which don't need this fussing with.

If you have breasted out buffies, soak them in the brine for only one day, then sear them in a frying pan like venison. Serve rare-to-medium.

I have other recipes here, but this is one I like for divers.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby xtrema 1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:17 am

Duckjumper-

Thanks for replying I agree that is a waste for making jerkey with a bufflehead because they are so small. By the time you dehydrate them for 9 hrs. they will shrivel up to nothing. I like making jerkey out of goose. I will be breasting them out. Could you soak them longer in the brine or will that ruin them? When I sear the breast med-rare, what do I sear them with oil etc..? Do you still put the maple syrup on them when you sear? Do you do it at the end when they are coming off the pan?

thanks
xtrema
xtrema 1
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:13 pm

If they are breasted out, you really don't want them to be in the brine more than 36 hours - they will become waay too salty.

Sear them in fat. I use rendered wild duck fat (God bless the California rice fields!) but you could use anything. My next choice would be lard, followed by butter, then olive oil.

To make the sauce: After the breasts are seared off, take them out and let them rest. in the pan, pour a little wine or brandy into it - take the pan off the fire or you might get your eyebrows singed! Turn the heat up to high and let the alcohol reduce by half, scraping the bits that had stuck on the pan with a wooden spoon. Add a wineglass full of chicken broth (duck stock would be even better...) and let this reduce by half. Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup, mix and turn off the heat. Swirl in a tablespoon of butter, and when it's mixed in, serve with the buffies!

Enjoy!
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

duckjumper

Postby xtrema 1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks for that recipe. I can't wait to make it this week for dinner it sounds great.

Xtrema
xtrema 1
hunter

Postby rockbass » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Soak breasts in sprite soda overnight.
Pound them out
Put them in egg wash
Dip in Italian bread crumbs
Deep fry.

I did 44 various types of duck breast last weekend, and they were amazing. You might want to cut bigger breasts once or twice after you pound them.

Option two:
Soak chunked breasts(6-8) in Merlot .5 bottle, brown sugar .5 cup, and 2 tblsp. fresh garlic.
Soak @ room temp. 4 hrs
In a crock pot start 1 lg onion, and 3-5 servings of brown rice
2 cans beef or chicken stock ( I think you can buy duck stock)
A little Basil,salt and pepper
When the rice is just starting to break 3-4 hrs
pour the duck and wine marinade right over the top
I like to add mushrooms at this point as well
Cook for another hour or until the duck in med.
Serve with a little Franks Chili \Lime hot sauce, and another bottle of merlot (Yellow Tail, or Fish Eye work nicely)
rockbass
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking