Hot Italian Goose Sausage

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Hot Italian Goose Sausage

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:26 am

I make almost all of my geese into hot Italian sausage. I found a recipe for hot italian sausage on the internet and modified to my taste.

This recipe is for 1 goose. I bone out the legs and thighs as well as the breasts. I generally shoot large geese in the 10+ lb range, so keep that in mind if you are shooting small geese or don't bone out the legs and thighs.

I blend this with about 1 lb of boneless pork. The primary purpose of the pork is to provide the fat necessary for the sausage to fry properly. Choose the cheapest, fattiest piece of pork you can find.

Ingredients
1 goose (cut into boneless pieces to feed into grinder)
1 lb pork (cut into pieces)
1 Tbsp minced garlic (I don't use the dried stuff)
4 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp fennel seeds (this is pretty expensive, but necessary. You can cut back based on your preference)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp red pepper flake (I always put extra of this. I heaping Tbsp or more is what I generally do)
2 tsp ground black pepper

Instructions
I get two small bowls and put the minced garlic in one of them (because it's wet) and all the other spices mixed together in the other one.

I then start grinding and try to uniformly mix the goose, pork, garlic, and spices as I feed them through the grinder. For example, piece of goose, small amount of garlic, piece of pork, small amount of spices, ... Once everything has been through the grinder once, I mix it up a little bit to get the goose, pork, and spices a little more uniformly distributed. Then I send everything through the grinder a second time to thoroughly mix everything.

I don't stuff my sausage into casings. I use it loose like I would hamburg. I fry it with peppers, mix it into spaghetti sauce, ... This makes a moderately spicy sausage. If you don't like spicy, I would back off a little bit on the spices. If you like really spicy stuff, then this is a good place to start and then adjust your next batch according to your taste.

Notes
Since I bone out the legs, the tendons tend to get wrapped around the blades and block the holes. Sometimes I have to disassembly the grinder and clean it out. Usually, I just take it apart after the first grinding and make sure everything is clear for the second grinding. I use the course disk (the one with the largest holes) for both passes.

If you here a metallic grinding sound, you missed a pellet. Take the grinder apart, remove the pellet, and continue. Most times the pellets actually pass through into the sausage because they are smaller than the holes in the disc. So there may be shot in the sausage. I've run across about 2 pellets out of a lot of sausage.

Enjoy
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Good recipe. How many pounds of meat are you getting from your goose? And personally, I would buy fatback instead of pork shoulder. Geese are so lean you need all the fat you can get!
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:40 pm

Two big geese fill the blue bowl to the top and two smaller geese fill it around 3/4, and if I get two small lessers, then the blue bowl is about half full. If I only get one small lesser, I usually give it to one of my friends that like to pluck and roast them :rofl: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've never actually weighed the meat. I think I'm getting around 3 - 4 lbs of meat per goose and then I add about a pound of pork per goose.

I agree that the primary purpose of the pork is fat. The store on the way home from work doesn't carry a good selection and I just buy what they have on sale and try to pick the fattiest piece they have. Then I always lightly coat the frying pan with oil before I start frying the sausage because it's still pretty lean.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:43 pm

That is awesome, I have been looking for something like this. I guess I have to shoot more geese with the 2 weeks left in the season. Does this work with Duck?
MacAttack
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:59 pm

I don't shoot enough ducks to know. All my ducks end up in other recipes. However, it was actually a recipe for pork sausage, so I'm sure it would work for ducks. Just make sure you have at least 3 lbs of duck meat or there will be too much spice.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:28 pm

I'll see if I can't shoot some more ducks too and I will let you know...
MacAttack
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:06 am

SpinnerMan, your ratio is about right (I make a lot of sausage, so I do a lot of eyeballing the measurements now, too).

MacAttack, yes, it will work with duck. I collect my shot-up birds that aren't good enough for roasting and make a batch once or twice a season. The key is 3-4 pounds meat to 1-2 pounds fat. Easiest thing to do would be 3 pounds duck, 2 pounds really fatty pork shoulder. If you can get fatback, definitely buy it and do a 4:1 ratio - you will get a "duckier" taste, which is the point, isn't it?
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Thanks

Postby WATERFOWLER1973 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks for the recipe - I tried it today - I will let you know what I think of it after dinner

"INSERT JOKES HERE"

FROM THIS

TO THIS

JERKY - YUMMY
WATERFOWLER1973
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking