ringers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

ringers

Postby stingray » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:06 pm

I slayed the ringers this weekend and brought home a cooler full. Ive never had ringneck before and looking for some recipes. I am going to try and make jerky with some smoke some and Ill still have a lot left to experiment with.
stingray
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:50 pm

Were they shot in brackish or salt water? If so, brine them for 2 days and smoke them slowly over hardwoods. Hickory or oak is good.

If they were shot inland and you have reason to suspect their fat is clean and tasty (cut off the Pope's Nose - tail - and fry it slowly, you'll smell whether it's clean or fishy) just roast them whole with salt and pepper and maybe a little Worchestershire sauce or a squeeze of lemon.

Here in California, ringnecks are pretty good eating; better than scaup at any rate...
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby stingray » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I just cooked up the some of those ringers, and it was some of the best duck I have ever had. I soaked it in saltwater with choped onions, a little garlic and some redfish magic for about 2 days. heated up a little bit of oil on high on the stove put the breast in a bowl with some whichteschere (sp) sauce, a little garlic powder and some mesquite seasoning mixed it all around for a bit and threw it on the oil for a few minutes, my first attempt at searing. took it out of the pan and let it sit for a bit, ate and repeated.
stingray
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking