BAD DUCK!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

BAD DUCK!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!

Postby irishpride42 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:09 pm

So I tried something new this week that someone had over the weekend and mine didn't turn out the way I wanted it to! I had the duck breast froze so I let them thaw out, put them in a bag and marinaded them in red wine and some Montreal steak seasoning for four days like I was told to. I thought that was too long but anyways...Wrapped them in bacon and threw them on the grill until the bacon was crisp and the breasts were med rare. Well tried the first piece and it had way TOO much of a wine flavor, the wine had turned the breasts purple and made them taste like strong wine and you could not taste the duck just wine and baconm. I was very disappointed but wanted to try a new way. The wife like the pieces she had except for one bite she had that tasted like wine. I have another bag of mallards thawing out in the fridge to cook Sunday for the super bowl and I want to try a different recipe. Do I need to add something with the wine? Forget the wine? Marinades anyone? Something different maybe? i usually either do jalapeño poppers or marinate them in soy/Worcestershire sauce for 24-48 hours and wrap them in bacon but someone give me something different.
Arise. Kill. Eat.
Acts 10:13
irishpride42
hunter

Postby rockbass » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:17 am

You can't leave duck in red wine for that long IMO.
Iknow I've put this on here before, but I'm telling you this is amazing. Soak the ducks in a bowl at room temp in with just a bottle of sprite dumped on them. With Mallards abot 3-4 hours will do. Then pound them out cut into strips bread and fry in oil. Don't over cook them med- med rare is perfect.

If you don't like the fry thing take some marinated artichoke hearts, bread crumbs, parm cheese, garlic, and s+p, and make it into a stuffing. Spread it over the bottom of a pan then place duck breasts on top bake @ 375 for 30 - 40 min.

I know it sounds stupid, but the sprite does amazing things to duck breasts.
rockbass
hunter

Postby BPShunter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:26 am

Use Dale's or Moore's marinade. You can get it at Wal-Mart. It is a 30 minute marinade but it gives the duck more of a steak taste. I have soaked them in it for up to 2 days. I also wrap them around a tame jalapeno pepper and wrap bacon around the whole breast. I then shake some Cavender's seasoning on them while grilling.

BPShunter
Jax's retrieves 2013-2014

Mallards - 30
Wood duck - 15 (1 band)
Gadwall - 32
Pintail - 0
Widgeon - 2
Ring neck - 1
Shoveler - 0
GW Teal - 2
BPShunter
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:53 am

I supplied the ducks and this girls cooked this and it was amazing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 40,00.html
MacAttack
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 am

well since its for a football game and that is synonymous with healthy food you should cut the breasts up into strips, marinate in buttermilk for most of day the day, bread'em, then fry those bad boys up before the game...
We always fry duck breasts when kickin back watching the game and having a case of beer
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby rockbass » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:04 pm

We do them like that when we are out icefishing. Try them Buffalo style amazing. Most people don't believe they are eating divers.
rockbass
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:11 pm

IrishPride - your problem is that you did not burn off the alcohol in the wine. Most recipes fail to mention this step, but believe me, in commercial kitchens this is the first step in a wine-based marinade. Basically, you do this:

Take your wine, broth or other liquid and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 3-5 minutes if you are using alcohol. Turn off the heat, add your aromatics (spices, peppercorns, herbs, lemon slices, garlic onion or whatever), cover the pot and let it cool to room temperature. THEN you pour it into a Ziploc bag with the duck breasts and you're golden! Put the bag in a bowl or tupperware and squoosh it around every now and again to make sure all the marinade gets onto the meat.

When you get ready to cook, take the meat out of the marinade and dry it well before cooking. This is important - otherwise you will not get a good sear.

Personally, I would not marinate for more than 2 days.

Hope this helps.

I have lots of other duck recipes here, if you are interested. Good Luck!
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby irishpride42 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks! That makes pretty good sense! I usually cook them redneck style (frying or jalapeno poppers) but decided to try the wine marinade.
Arise. Kill. Eat.
Acts 10:13
irishpride42
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking