BBQ Ribs

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

BBQ Ribs

Postby Willie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Might be cooking some up this weekend.

Any family secret recipes and different ways of cooking them?

Who boils them first? Any broilers? Charcoal only or gas?

Secret sauces?
Willie
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm

We boil them. Delicious, they fall of the bone :thumbsup: Making me hungry for some. We do it a few times a year during the summer, this year I am going to try some homeade bbq sause, got to perfect the recipe first though.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Willie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Well that's what this is for...tips and tricks and secrets of the sauce.

Then check out the favorite beer thread to find something to pair those tasty ribs with.
Willie
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:31 pm

You gonna use tomato based sauce or the East Carolina Vinegar based? I like them both.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:34 pm

I tried one with tomato base, and didn't like that it tasted alot like tomato. So I am going to try the vinager type soon, is there a way to thicken that up(ie cornstarch)?
MacAttack
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:59 pm

When I was in New Bern NC this fall I picked up a bottle of Smithfields BBQ Sauce. I will go get it and read the ingredients. Hold on. Apple Cider Vinegar, Red Pepper, Catsup, Hot Sauce, Salt. Thats it and its pretty thin. Oh ya, any St. Louis guys on here? Talk us threw a "Dry Rub" Dont know how to do that one, and no massage jokes.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby Willie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:02 pm

jrock...that sauce is about the same as how i make it. I'd add some water, worcheshire, and brown sugar to thicken it up.

Pork ribs, but maybe some beef ribs this weekend.

Boil for 30 minutes and throw 'em on the grill and baste away.

If you google "rodeo sauce" it has a good recipe. That's the sauce we always used growing up.
Willie
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:04 pm

I could go for some of those ribs right now. Damn they sound good.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:15 pm

thanks jrock :thumbsup:
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce is pretty good as well.
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby jehler » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Don't boil, it works but there are better ways. If you don't have a smoker I will give you my method, If you don't like them I'll go jump in the snow naked, no crap. For baby back pork ribs: rinse them off and pull the skien off the back side. make or buy a dry rub mine has black pepper, granulated garlic, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, sugar and salt. Rub it into the meat good and let it rest in the fridge. remove from fridge and place in an oven proof pan(glass or ceramic covered metal not aluminum) cover with foil (dont let the foil touch the meat and space them out don't stack them) and bake at 275 degrees for three hours. remove from oven. heat up ther grill and finish the ribs there, charcoal is better, keep an eye on them and flip them often, they are already cooked but this will carmalize and render any fat that is left on them. brush on the sauce at the last couple of minutes. total time on the grill is only 10-15 minutes and be careful as they will be so tender that they will fall apart easily :thumbsup: good luck
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

ribs

Postby specwaker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Now pay attention... Ribs got to be pork 1 peel off the silver skin on back. 2 put on a dry rub min 2 hrs before cooking. 3 charcoal grill only, and cook as slow as possible. 4 Baste with your favorite sauce the last 10 min. 5 cool , then slice an serve. I use Sweet Baby Rays.
WADDA YA MEAN I MISSED?
specwaker
hunter

Re: ribs

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:03 am

I make a rub similar to the one mentioned above. I use a charcoal Weber grill, but am actually smoking the ribs on it. I make a baste out of what I have left of the rub plus mustard, apple cider vinegar, and balsalmic vinegar. Couple tablespoons of mustard, two parts cider vinegar, 1 part balsalmis approx. The baste is very thin, and is used to keep some moisture on the outside. Seems to help with the smoke ring as well. Use indirect heat, and keep the heat as low as possible. You can use a meat/grill thermometer to place in the exhaust holes in the top of the grill if you need help determining your heat. I make my own sauce, and will not go into detail, as it may one day be my claim to fame, but I will say that I will not use store bought sauces, nor will I add liquid smoke. If you're taking your time and cooking them slow, that should be all the smoke flavor you need. I try to take a min 3 1/2 hrs for baby back, and 4 1/2 for regular pork ribs. That's why I try to keep the heat so low. I don't boil them ahead of time.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby don taylor » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:00 am

Dolsmi wrote:Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce is pretty good as well.

That's my families favorite. I think we get the honey though.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Willie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:55 am

Okay, Jehler and Specwacker...pull the skin off the bone side, right?

Jehler, are you putting any water in the pan or does the meat have enough moisture already?

Haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm already thinking about dinner. :smile:
Willie
hunter

Postby usmchunter » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 am

i use a dry rub similar to what is mentioned above. (brown sugar, paprika, garlic, salt, onion powder, chili powder, sage, cayenne pepper, black pepper, dry mustard). I rub in some olive oil first then rub in the spices. Put in the fridge usually over night, but at the very least two hours. If in the fridge I pull it out a few hours before putting on the grill so it warms to room temp. I use gas at about 200-225 degrees and put the ribs on the opposite side from the flame. I use soaked hickory chips too. I put a couple on at the beginning and then add a couple for the last several minutes, making sure not to cook with the hickory the entire time as it gives a stronger flavor than I like. Use a spray bottle with one-third white vinegar and two-thirds beer. After I turn it a few times I spray it every time I flip, just a few squirts each time. I leave on the grill for about 4 hrs.

My wife prefers it when I wrap the ribs in several layers of foil and skip the spray. They come out moister and fall off the bone.
usmchunter
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:24 am

Okay here we go something I know about. As a competition BBQer I will say this only once, DO NOT BOILS YER RIBS!!!!!!! ya lose alot of flavor. cook em at a low temp225-250 over a wood or charcoal fire. use whatever rub ya like the one mentioned in an earlier post is a good one.
My ribs are smoked for 4-6 hours depending on temp and climate conditions, yes humidity does affect cook times, and the ribs are never put directly over the heat untill I put the sauce on em. I have a large cooker so I put the fire on one end and the ribs on the other.
If you use charcoal don't be afraid to try different types of soaked wood chips to add different flavor to the ribs. I prefer apple wood but black cherry is good as well as good old hickory.
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:10 am

Willie wrote:Okay, Jehler and Specwacker...pull the skin off the bone side, right?

Jehler, are you putting any water in the pan or does the meat have enough moisture already?

Haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm already thinking about dinner. :smile:

yep the silver skin on the bone side, and no water :thumbsup: I like the weber indirect heat method but it takes a good experienced bbq'er to pull it off. practice with chicken then do ribs on the charcoal once you get good
jehler

Postby Canned Heat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:42 pm

I score both sides with knife jabs and coat wit ha rub or sauce depending on the mood. Wrap the rack(s) tightly in heavy duty foil- twice. Bake in 300 degree oven for 3-1/2 hours. When completed, drain liquid and coat well with BBQ sauce and grill just to get a little sear to the ribs and slightly carmelize the sauce.

Giddyup.
Reality is a great place....I just wouldn't want to live there.
Canned Heat
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:05 pm

willie, how'd the ribs turn out?
jehler

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking