Duck Hunting Forum banner

Metal/cast iron biscuit oven

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  i_willie12 
#1 ·
Trying to find a thick metal biscuit oven to bring to blind. Not too sure what the proper name is. Any additional info where I can find one would be appreciated. Looking for the kind that folds shut. Not open.

#2 ·
I do not know of a cast iron folding oven. But Coleman makes one:

this is what I use. works awesome. It can run a little hot if you are not careful, and will burn the bottom of the biscuits, but I take two of these 8" x 8" pans:

and nest them one inside the other. I take the top pan and fold the tabs down about 1/4" so there is an air gap between them. this helps prevent burning the bottom on the biscuits.

#3 ·
I just use a frying pan with a lid and a heat diffuser underneath on a gas stove so there are no hot spots in the pan. I melt enough butter in the pan and lay the biscuit in and brush the tops with butter. When one side is browned turn them and brown the other side. If your lazy you can just put the flattened dough in in one piece and then it's called a bannock instead of a biscuit and you break it up to eat. Keep the heat low so you don't burn the outside before the he inside gets done.

I have one of the sheat metal ovens shown but use it for pies and bread in camp, I even have a very old one of those that is double wide and fits over both burners with an izenglas window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.