Waterfowl summer sausage

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Waterfowl summer sausage

Postby quackerwacker » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 am

The wife gave me a smoker for my birthday. I just finished a batch of summer sausage last week using Hi Mountain seasonings summer sausage kit. Mixed up 2/3 duck/goose and 1/3 ground pork. Smoked them in a little chief with alder chips. Turned out absolutely fantastic! This is hands down the best way that I have found to make waterfowl - I have quite a few other recipes that are really good - but this is hands down the best! Another great thing about it is that you end up with a little bit more because of the pork mix. I would recommend getting a smoker to anyone who hasn't discovered how awesome they are! Anyone have any other good cured sausage recipes?
2009-2010 totals
Canada Geese: 5
Mallards: 14
Wood ducks:0
Widgeon: 0
Gadwall: 0
Pintail: 5
Green Wing Teal: 5
Bands: none yet this year!
quackerwacker
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 pm

quacker, I have been doing this for years with a big chief smoker. I get all my seasoning from a local butcher. he mixes up the spices with the cure and sells it to me by the pound for however much meat I have. I am usually buying the pork fat from him and I get a hell of a price on the mix he also sells me the casings fresh by the pound.
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking