Pan Seared "Pittsburgh Rare" Filet Mignon

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Pan Seared "Pittsburgh Rare" Filet Mignon

Postby Crash » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:17 pm

According to local Pittsburgh lore, Pittsburgh steelworkers would often bring hunks of meat for lunch, rather than sandwiches. When lunchtime came, they would slap the piece of steak against a slab of hot metal in the mill to sear a blackened exterior around a red, rare core - a cooking style now known as "Pittsburgh Rare." Even the area bars got into the act, serving up Pittsburgh Rare steak, followed by a "boiler maker," or shot of whiskey and a bottle of beer.

This is also sometimes called "Black and Blue"

I started w/ two 2.5" thick Filet mignon medallions. Coat both sides w/ a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and w/ your favorite dry seasoning. (I use Emeril's essence, garlic salt and Lowery's steak seasoning)

Next place a cast iron pan (i use my wife's Great Grandmothers 100 y/o c/i pan) in the oven and pre-heat to 550 degrees. Be sure the oven comes all the way up to temp and the pan is HOT! Now turn stove top eye on high. Pull out the pan and place on eye.

Cook the first side for 1-2 minutes (depending on how black you like the sear) and flip.

As soon as you flip the steak, place pan back inside 550 degree oven. Let cook for another 1-2 minutes.

I served this w/ sauteed asparagus and mushrooms, baked potato and soft rolls and a nice glass of Merlot.

bon appetit
If you're gonna hunt ducks in AMERICA, please use an AMERICAN shot gun.

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
Calvin Coolidge
Crash
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:39 pm

crash next time you do that move the steaks to the oven in another dish. then throw some minced shallots some sundried tomatoes(rehydrated or oil soaked) in the pan and deglaze with a little congac or brandy(watch the flames they will be huge. reduce for a minute pull of the heat whisk in some heavey cream and a pat of butter then pour over that steak mmmmmmm :thumbsup:

a little gorganzola cheese on the steak before pouring the sauce over is yummy also
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby greenster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm jealous as hell, Mainly because I cant find that good cut of meat around here with out special order. But I'm a rib-eye man anyway, Same principle just about a min on each side and its GOOD to eat.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:31 am

greenster wrote:. But I'm a rib-eye man anyway, Same principle just about a min on each side and its GOOD to eat.

Much agreed.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Crash » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 am

jehler, I'll have to try that. Sounds like it'll make your tounge slap your brains out! :yes: MMMMMMM!!!

greenster wrote:I'm jealous as hell, Mainly because I cant find that good cut of meat around here with out special order.

greenster, There is a WHOLE FOODS grocery store right next door to my office. They have the best meat counter of any grocery chain I have evere seen. These steaks were about $12 ea.
If you're gonna hunt ducks in AMERICA, please use an AMERICAN shot gun.

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
Calvin Coolidge
Crash
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Crash wrote:jehler, I'll have to try that. Sounds like it'll make your tounge slap your brains out! :yes: MMMMMMM!!!

greenster wrote:I'm jealous as hell, Mainly because I cant find that good cut of meat around here with out special order.

greenster, There is a WHOLE FOODS grocery store right next door to my office. They have the best meat counter of any grocery chain I have evere seen. These steaks were about $12 ea.

I have to special order... But when I do... A good cut of rib-eye 1/2" - 1" thick will cost me about $25 EA... or $12lb
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking