crawfish, crayfish, mudbugs...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

crawfish, crayfish, mudbugs...

Postby brassass » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:09 am

Any of you fellas like crawfish. I personally love em i am about to head out and get 800 lbs for a little ol boil later today. i will post some pictures of the action tomorrow.
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:55 am

oh yeah i put away some crawfish! boil some taters and corn cobs and sprinkle some SLAP YA MAMA!!! last time we were down in crowley, Louisiana, my buddy took me and the wife out in the boat and we ran a few traps, caught 2 sacks and boiled em that night. its amazing to think that 1 guy does all the work: drive the boat, lift trap out of water, dump the trap onto the tray, sort crawfish, toss back the little ones, put bait back in the trap, put trap back in water, repeat and oh yeah drive the boat!

bluewing the former louisiana boy

hey where's the pics?
bluewing77
hunter

Postby brassass » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:56 am

coming up tonight, had to get them on the PC gonna be a while before i get back to house.
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:44 pm

My son and I built some traps last year that worked okay, do you guys buy yours? can you post up some pics of the traps?
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby brassass » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 am

well i forgot to put up the pictures of the boil

no we order ours from some fellas down in LA so no traps but i have trapped my own before and cooked and ate them. They taste alot better when you do all the work to get them and then eat, just like any other game.
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 am

brassass wrote: They taste alot better when you do all the work to get them and then eat, just like any other game.

I agree, we rarely get enough for a decent meal but it makes em taste all the sweeter. I figure by the time i haul the boat twice to the lake and pay all the gas for the truck and the 225 outboard on the boat we could all go out and eat steak for what we got into 5 or 6 dozen crawdads but the smile on the kids faces makes it well worth it.
jehler

Postby greenster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Jehler... if you guys had a swamp around... You might have better luck there. Wish I had 30 or so traps laying around I'd have be a little 60-100lb cook out. I live fairly close to a swamp, Back in the day I and my brother and a couple friends would go wade around in the running creeks and back water and catch the big ones, fill up a "wash bucket" full of them and pour them in the old bath tub sitting in the cow pasture (All rednecks have one) when it gets full AFTER a couple days. We boil couple hundred pounds for the neighborhood. I figured out that soaking them in salt water for long periods of time is not a good idea. :hammer:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:22 pm

greenster wrote:Jehler... if you guys had a swamp around... You might have better luck there. Wish I had 30 or so traps laying around I'd have be a little 60-100lb cook out. I live fairly close to a swamp, Back in the day I and my brother and a couple friends would go wade around in the running creeks and back water and catch the big ones, fill up a "wash bucket" full of them and pour them in the old bath tub sitting in the cow pasture (All rednecks have one) when it gets full AFTER a couple days. We boil couple hundred pounds for the neighborhood. I figured out that soaking them in salt water for long periods of time is not a good idea. :hammer:

greenster our swamps are different than what you gys have down south, they freeze up solid in the winter and usually dont hold to many bugs. Our best spots are stumpy floodings behind damns and rocky lakes, I hear if you find a good river spot it can be gold but we haven't found one yet. If anyone from Mi knows better let me know. we have some decent spots but never get more than one or two dozen in a trap in a 24 hour soak
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 am

One or two dozen in 24 hrs. would make me angry. We get most of ours out of ditches. Well run traps in the ditches until we got what we need. Normally we can turn out a hundred lbs in 8 or 9 hours running the ditches.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby brassass » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:25 am

well took me long enough but here are some pictures,

that first picture was just a small batch we cooked a few weeks back, the other pictures are using the big cooker, i didn't get any of them being dumped, wish i would have however

EDIT, if you are wondering that is me with the yellow shirt on, my mudbugger shirt
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 am

Holy crap brass, how much beer does it take to eat that many bugs?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler

Postby greenster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:28 am

:thumbsup: Brass i think thats the biggest cooker I have seen.. I've seen several like that much about 1/2 the size. Since I don't cook craws much I just have a 30 gal pot I put on my fish cooker...works well.

brass you fellers down there been getting any craws with some size to em? pretty much little ones roaming around here.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brassass » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:35 pm

i think before the night was over it was 130 cases of beer not over estimating either. about 800 lbs of crawfish, not as much as we have cooked in the past but still alot.

The cooker belongs to a friend of my dads he lets us use it every year. I have a few ~80 quart pots i cook out of when i am the house.

The batch we had last weekend or had a few good size ones in it. i would say average medium size. still haven't gotten the big ones yet. gonna eat some more this weekend but not that much only about 50-60 lbs and they should be a little bigger overall.
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:48 pm

We cooked a hundred lbs this weekend and Id say 60 percent of them were big and propably didnt have that many small ones. They are starting to look better.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby brassass » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:02 pm

smackaduck wrote:We cooked a hundred lbs this weekend and Id say 60 percent of them were big and propably didnt have that many small ones. They are starting to look better.

good to hear, should trickle into arkansas this weekend then
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:39 pm

I hope they make it this way. I need to put some traps out, but I fear they are down there by you by now, as I left most of them tied to a tree in a creek.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking