Pan Seared Duck Breasts

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Pan Seared Duck Breasts

Postby greenster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:20 pm

# Remember to sauté the mushrooms properly
# Never cook with any wine you wouldn't drink!
# A heavy duty cast iron skillet works great for this recipe.
# You can substitute standard button mushrooms if wild ones are not available.

*6 tablespoon unsalted butter
*8 duck breasts
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 1/4 cup chopped shallots
* 6 oz of wild mushrooms
* 1/2 cup of drinkable red wine
* 1 cup Demi-Glace**************
* Salt and pepper

Okay A Demi-Glace is very complicated to make, But add lotsof flavor the following link will show you how to make it. It involves boiling bones and making a roux. for this just use a beef stock, if you don't have any Forget it.

http://www.gatewaygourmet.com/demi_glace.htm

Besides chopping the shallot and slicing the wild mushrooms, you can season the duck breasts with salt and pepper.
Don't forget to heat sauté pan (cast iron skillet if you have one) until well really freakin hot.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter with the oil and sear breasts quickly on both sides. Then cook an additional 2-3 minutes per side. from your pan and keep warm.

Deglace your pan with just a little of your red wine, add remaining butter and briefly sauté your shallots.

Add mushrooms and sauté until translucent (approx. 4-5 minutes).

Add Demi-Glace (or beef stock) and water. Simmer for approx. 6-7 minutes until sauce has thickened enough to coat a spoon. if you cant get it thick... add some roux mix if available.

Serve over duck.

Pan seared aspargus, baked potatoes are good with this. Hell any vegetables and spuds will work. Best flavor use a different wine than what you cook with, a good Citrus flavor goes goodsuch as

"real sangria"

This is easy to cook and well worth it

"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:45 pm

Nice greenster :thumbsup:

I do the same thing but use a heavy stainless pan instead of cast iron and use a combo of reduced red wine and stock to deglaze the pan, whisk a cold pat of butter into the sauce at the end to give the sauce a sheen and great body of flavor. When I cook duck like this I usually pluck the breast so I can cook with the skin on, sear the skin side first until it is mucho crispy
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby greenster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:11 pm

Stainless BLAH~! Butters not too bad of a Idea, But I'm fat enough as it is. For some reason I don't like the skin and the flavor it pt off, But I do cook skin on for others if they wish. I've been known to wrap lean into skin though, for moisture reasons. I think tomarrow is going to be a experimental day for 7 green wing teal. But I sure don't want to mess them up.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:15 pm

none of my cast iron is seasoned enough to not taste the iron when I ad wine or any other acid. I use all clad.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby greenster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:31 pm

jehler wrote:none of my cast iron is seasoned enough to not taste the iron when I ad wine or any other acid. I use all clad.

Perhaps you need a b-d gift

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:59 pm

I made your recipe tonight and to be quite frank it was intoxicating both in smell and taste!

I almost didn't save enough wine for the deglaze :biggrin:

I put it over a bed of rice and added a little corn starch to the demiglaze to thicken it up
devildog28
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking