Hi I need smoking help

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Hi I need smoking help

Postby thetrapperdan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I want to smoke some jerky,but I don't know how and I never did it before.
thetrapperdan
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:29 pm

This is one of those things that you will get ALOT of opinions from the few who actually smoke there jerky. I have only did beef in this manner. What are you looking to smoke. Next what wood are you going to use? The wood is what will give it's pure flavor. For a slightly sweet smoke taste use, apple, Plum, Pear wood, for a sharp smoke taste use hickory, or mesquite. I have heard alder is suppose to be the best between the sharp and sweet flavors,but I haven't used it as I only use the trees that are in my little 200 acres. Never use green wood, it gives a bitter taste. Next you meat, remember that after you trim ALL the fat and cook, for every one pound of jerky you want use three pounds of beef. (most people use a roast of sorts) I must stress you want to use ONLY lean for jerky, no fat no marbling. smoking time you looking at 8-12 hours most of the time, after 6 hours just start sampling until you get it the way you like it. (reminds me, cut all your pieces the same size)

The next big this is the temp of the meat. I have a batt. power unit so I stick the thermometer in the middle ofa peice. and take my other unit inside and it shows me the temp. So I can drink beer and watch football in my chair. But the temp needs to stay between 150-160 degrees. +/- 5 degrees variation of hot and cold. so long as it less than 165 and more than 145 your fine.

This is where you Want a good SHARP KINFE. I use the kershaw knifes as they are the best IMO. but I mean super sharp, as you will cutting thin slices from a big piece of meat. if you don't have one, Slightly freezing the meat will help in the cut.

Marrinade vs dry rub. I haven't fixed it enough to be able to guide you to eaither one. I have a recipe for the marinade though. Just like a steak marinade You don't want to leave it in over night or the meat will likely taste just like the marinade. I like to use a blender like steak as well, and chop all my fresh and solids together so they soak well, and quick, also it keeps from getting char on the meat.

I use lots of ingredients, you may substitute some of them, or leave them out.

Pepper
Salt
Brown sugar
Soy sauce
Worcestershire
teriyaki sauce

You cannot forget your Good Bourbon.. GOOD none of that T.W, Jim beam Crap. go with Crown, or Wild turkey. (Go easy with the Turkey though.) or a good Dry Sherry

Garlic Powder
Fresh white onion
Cayenne Pepper/hot sauce/creole seasoning
Cumin(very little, a pinch for every pound of jerky.)
Yellow mustard
for sweet taste add some johnny fair syrup.

This is pretty much what I use every time, Just blend it up, Put it in Zip lock bags for 4-8 hours, or 2-5 hours for vacuum seal bag. You should know your own taste's to how much of what you want to add. I just sort of go with how i'm feeling.

General 1/2-1 onion. 1/4 alcohol, even less of the soy, Worcestershire and teriyaki sauce, just enough to cover the meat.

OH yeh USDA meats you will want to cure it.. So get some meat cure a use 1ts for ever 6 pounds of meat. And remove the same amount of salt or it will be salty as hell.

I keep forgetting stuff... do not use smoke the whole time, only like the first 3-4 hours the just dry the rest. heres a detailed recipe for sweet and spicy jerky.

1.25 C Soy Sauce
1/2 C Worcestershire
1/3 C. Steak Sauce A1
1/8 cup of sirarcha (or 1/4-1/2 hot sauce)
2 ts Kosher or Plain Salt
1.5 ts Garlic Powder
1 ts Onion Powder
1/2 ts cumin
1/2 - 1 ts Cayenne pepper
1 ts Black Pepper, freshly ground
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1/4+ of johnny fair syrup.

Taste it and add what you need. For this Pretty dry stuff... I'll allow you to marinate overnight 10-16hours or more.

4-8 hours of drying 3-4 of useing smoke...remember the temp as well.

almost for got 1 ts of cure and take out 1 ts of salt.

and thats for 5lbs of meat or about 1.75lb of jerky.

hope this helps
Last edited by greenster on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thetrapperdan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:16 pm

That is what I am talcking about. I love A1. I can eat it plan. So does it taste like A1?
thetrapperdan
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:41 pm

no :no: does not taste like a1
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:31 pm

green what the hell is johnny fair syrup? :huh:
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby greenster » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:48 pm

LIL J....Its the best syrup in the world.... Just google it MAAN

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking